Hearthstone Tech Sheets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks that's a very useful link.

Ya it's very good and I found a ton of explanation for my model. I rebuilding a 8611 right from the bottom so some stuff like stone placement and gasket sizes are here. Mike

I don't know how old they are but I've already downloaded about 15 of them, very handy. They may have just been put up on the net, some links don't work but the ones that do are great. It looks like the service procedures for their models.

I don't know how old they are but I've already downloaded about 15 of them, very handy. They may have just been put up on the net, some links don't work but the ones that do are great. It looks like the service procedures for their models.
As I was browsing around (fascinated by the revision histories for the different stoves, particularly since I found that they'd started using a new latch on the Tribute just after mine was made, grrrrrr)-- anyway, I ran into a line on one page something to the effect of "This Web site is incomplete and under construction, more coming soon."

Given that so much of this stuff is possible to do without paying for a dealer service call if you only know what the quirks are, this is incredibly valuable. When I was having trouble just replacing the damn baffle on the Tribute towards the end of its life, I finally went to the dealer's (45 miles away) to get their service people to show me, and they didn't have one that was accessible on the floor! The guy then looked it up on a site with beautiful photographs and clear instructions, but it was for official dealer/service people only.

So sounds like Hearthstone has finally taken the problem of reluctant and expensive dealer service to heart and given us crummy paying customers some help. Geez.

Wow sounds like you've had some fun with them. My dealer is near Knoxville TN and they are pretty good for parts. The parts guy just loves these stoves. Never tried any service but ya, you can do it yourself for sure.

Noticed as I looked through these data sheets that the PDF file links on the left do not line up accurately with the description of the link on the right. You have to figure out where you're at and then find the PDF from there. They got off kilter at one point and it gets worse and worse as you go down the list.

Wow sounds like you've had some fun with them. My dealer is near Knoxville TN and they are pretty good for parts. The parts guy just loves these stoves. Never tried any service but ya, you can do it yourself for sure.
Oh, I could practically write a book on the troubles I had with the Tribute, and the dealer. Replacing the door gasket led to a much too tight door, which led to the lip in the cast doorframe wearing off so it couldn't be latched anymore. Wheee! Then I got bum information and bad (ie no) help from the dealer service dept. which told me incorrectly that the entire door and frame combined would have to be replaced per Hearthstone Company rules, which would have cost more than the stove was worth at that point even if I did it myself, which not being at all handy, I was reluctant to try.

Bottom line was I ended up using that stove for two years with the door propped closed with an ash bucket and a couple of bricks. Then when the baffle fell off in fragments, I'd had it and decided to raid the retirement funds for a new larger stove, and I've been very happy with the Heritage.

Holy Crap Batman!!! What a hassle. Hope mine goes back together OK and she has no problems. It's in pieces right now all over our front porch. The wife is just shaking her head.

Holy Crap Batman!!! What a hassle. Hope mine goes back together OK and she has no problems. It's in pieces right now all over our front porch. The wife is just shaking her head.
This is a Tribute you're putting together? The vulnerability is definitely that doorlatch and gasket issue, and I gather that's also sporadically been a problem with other Hearthstone stoves. Though it's not the case with my Heritage, the Tribute seems to be designed to have the door latch only under pressure, which puts wear and tear on that doorframe lip every time you open and close it. It's a particular vulnerability with the tiny Tribute if you're using it for more than the occasional evening fire in the parlor because the firebox is so small, you're inevitably opening and closing the door much more frequently than with a larger stove.

No it's a Phoenix I built in 96. I just picked it up cheap and just wanted to fix the secondary air tubes but one thing led to another and now I'm rebuilding the whole thing. In the end it will be like new, I hope. Our place is under 1000 square feet so I'm hoping this stove will do the job. Plus they are very nice to look at and it fits right in with our house.

No it's a Phoenix I built in 96. I just picked it up cheap and just wanted to fix the secondary air tubes but one thing led to another and now I'm rebuilding the whole thing. In the end it will be like new, I hope. Our place is under 1000 square feet so I'm hoping this stove will do the job. Plus they are very nice to look at and it fits right in with our house.
Ah. I don't have a clue whether the Phoenix has the same doorlatch issue, but just keep alert to it as you put it back together.

The Hearthstones are just gorgeous, IMO. Maybe not so great for a modern home with modern furnishings, but perfect for older homes with an older look. Also, even though there are times in the worst winter temps when I wish it put out the big blasts of the cast/steel stoves, every other day of the heating season I really, really, really like the more gentle heat and the long heat retention. But probably the lower stovetop temps not an issue in your neck of the woods.

Yes we are in a small log home in the Smoky's so it will look great and thanks for your input. I really like the stone look of them and the fact that it will run all night without a reload. This neck of the woods has been freezing this year FYI. The heat retention is a great thing for us also. I will post pics when I have it back together. Mike

Hi Gyrfalcon,

Time to change out the gasket again, and was thinking of you and the night you stayed up with me to see me through.

It's still a bugger to do, but this time I picked my temperature (+30 instead of -40) and time (late evening instead of late night). Back poking around to see if I left any crumbs shining in the moonlight that I can follow to success.

Congrats on the upgrade to the Heritage and on retiring the coal bucket as a door latch.

BTW, I noticed recently that the door-latch on my Heritage wasn't being very effective anymore. It would slide right around in a circle, and not latch unless you were really paying attention. I took it apart and looked at it, and saw that the latch was wearing really thin. Then I recalled that the side door handle pulls up to latch, while the front door pushes down. So I experimented with switching out that inner part of the handle, the finger that catches on the stove-door part. And now they both close nice and tight.

I'm pretty sure that's not in the manual . . .

Hi Gyrfalcon,

Time to change out the gasket again, and was thinking of you and the night you stayed up with me to see me through.

It's still a bugger to do, but this time I picked my temperature (+30 instead of -40) and time (late evening instead of late night). Back poking around to see if I left any crumbs shining in the moonlight that I can follow to success.

Congrats on the upgrade to the Heritage and on retiring the coal bucket as a door latch.

BTW, I noticed recently that the door-latch on my Heritage wasn't being very effective anymore. It would slide right around in a circle, and not latch unless you were really paying attention. I took it apart and looked at it, and saw that the latch was wearing really thin. Then I recalled that the side door handle pulls up to latch, while the front door pushes down. So I experimented with switching out that inner part of the handle, the finger that catches on the stove-door part. And now they both close nice and tight.

I'm pretty sure that's not in the manual . . .
Oh, man, just the thought of gasket and door latch issues gives me nightmares. I've learned by bitter experience to push the door in strongly before turning the latch, to reduce the friction of the latch against that vulnerable cast lip on the frame. FWIW, replacing the latch itself, rather than the whole damn frame, is inexpensive, and I'd recommend doing it soon rather than waiting for it to fail completely. But watch out for the wear and tear on that lip.

I no longer use the front door of my Heritage because I've developed -- just shoot me! -- a non-histamine allergy to wood smoke, and the wide front door lets out a little puff of smoke that sets it off big-time-- violent, paroxysmal sneezing, 7 or 8 in a row, and a stuffed-up head and perpetually dripping nose. The much narrower side door rarely does. So except in shoulder season when I'm lighting a brand-new fire in a nearly cold stove only in early evening for a few hours, I don't use the front door at all. It does seem to me that the way the latch on the side door works, there's much less sense of friction when opening and closing it. For whatever it's worth.

I tremble with anxiety about having to replace the gasket on this when it's finally needed. Last time, I had my sweep do it for me, and it was he that totally f-ed it up, though I probably would have done the same if I'd done it myself. I have a much better sweep to help me out now when I need it, but still, just the thought of having to do it gives me the vapors.

I'm VERY grateful the ash bucket and brick actually worked, but it's a massive relief to now have a non-broken stove with a much larger heating capacity, and the ability to easily and quickly open and close the door without having to fuss and adjust and all that.

Nice to hear from you. It's been a while, and I've wondered how you''re doing up there from time to time. How you make it through those winters with only white birch for hardwood still amazes me.

Status
Not open for further replies.