Hearthstones Are Signed By The Technician

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was studying a picture of my secondary air intake I had posted and I noticed a signature on each of my Heritages down by the secondary air intake. That's odd....I never noticed that although...it's as clear as can be.

I'm not sure why they would be signed, but I guess it shows pride in the technician's work, which is commendable. Better than a slacker who could care less.

Maybe more products should be signed. I know when I sign my name, I become liable to the customer.

It's just a marketing gimmick. My signed stove was so poorly assembled the dealer replaced it.
It is a great stove when built properly.
Maybe they replaced the stove assembler too or at the very least coached that person? I am sure the signature is used for traceability purposes as well..

Ray

You don't have a secondary air intake, you just have an air intake hole. All air goes through that hole which is actually a great thing since you can block it off easily if needed. A huge magnet or welding glove can block the air. I never noticed the signature, was it on the metal tag, casting, or stone?

IMG_0492.JPG

It's etched into the stone just above the casting. I never saw it either

View attachment 76102

It's etched into the stone just above the casting. I never saw it either

That's cool. I know country stoves did that too since I saw a buddy's name on the back of a stove. He was the welder boss at the shop.

If you are interested, you can slide that metal tag up along the stone and let it slide down between the stone and the casting so that the tag will be safely stowed out of sight up under the shield. You won't have to look at it then and can enjoy the casting.

Hearthstone's outside intake nipple bolts on over that big hole there with a long 3" diamter nipple that makes easy connection. It is made of sheet metal and works very well. I thought it would have been cool to install a butterfly style damper right there to really control the stove if it goes nuclear.

Also, if you shine a light into that butthole you can actually see the primary intake slide mechanism. Not so important to see it but more importantly, you can shoot some liquid lube onto the slide which makes the famously crappy control really slide nicely from high to low without having to jiggle it. I lubed it this way when I sold the stove and wished I had done it sooner.

My Fireview is signed by it's builder too. Name is scratched into the stone under the top. I don't have a picture, but it's there.

This makes me think about when I got my Alderlea...it was missing one of the surround panels and had welding slag all over the place. Called PE later to check up after my dealer snafu on the surround and told the woman to make sure the person who signed the inspection sheet on my stove was sober that day...she didnt know what to say...ha

This makes me think about when I got my Alderlea...it was missing one of the surround panels and had welding slag all over the place. Called PE later to check up after my dealer snafu on the surround and told the woman to make sure the person who signed the inspection sheet on my stove was sober that day...she didnt know what to say...ha

She probably knew that the only thing she could say is nothing. Generally, not good to argue with an angry customer. Better to apologize and wait for them to calm down and forgive. After of course, you have rectified the situation.

It's just a marketing gimmick. My signed stove was so poorly assembled the dealer replaced it.
It is a great stove when built properly.
Maybe that guy was fired. ;lol

She probably knew that the only thing she could say is nothing. Generally, not good to argue with an angry customer. Better to apologize and wait for them to calm down and forgive. After of course, you have rectified the situation.

I was actually laughing when I talked with her...I think that is one reason she didnt say much...ha I knew she didnt do anything wrong, so why get mad at her.... It just amazes me that people will not take two seconds to save a customer hours of aggravation on the phone....

I was actually laughing when I talked with her...I think that is one reason she didnt say much...ha I knew she didnt do anything wrong, so why get mad at her.... It just amazes me that people will not take two seconds to save a customer hours of aggravation on the phone....

Anyone who runs a business will make mistakes.. Customer satisfaction comes from eating crow and generally showing you care about the issues...not passing the buck. In my case, I am the business, so there's no one to pass the blame onto, no matter how creative I have been. ==c

Sounds like she tried to help.

Reactions: Shadow&Flame
Status
Not open for further replies.