Heat and drying wiod

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

nmaho

Jan 15, 2014
Ma
90 plus heat and no wind how does this affect drying of wood

90 plus heat and no wind how does this affect drying of wood

Wood sweats, just like you - just no wind to take the moisture away. Heat and wind are the best combination.

bob

Yesterday I split a piece of Doug Fir thats in a pile I cut/split in June and its already down to 15%! We've had a hot summer, not a lot of wind and its just been sitting in the direct sun. So I think I rank sun first, then wind for drying wood.

Yep, over the 5-6 years that we've been burning 24/7 between November and April or so, I've really grown to appreciate our state tree as fuel. Doug fir dries amazingly fast and is reasonably dense, a good all-around wood. As for the other commonly-seen western Oregon woods, bigleaf maple is barely denser than fir, and yet takes two or three times as long to dry-- and I don't know why anyone even bothers with alder. .Wet and heavy when fresh, takes much seasoning and then it's a featherweight in the firebox.

As for the sun/wind question, I'll go for good air circulation over direct sun exposure any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.