Heat circulation.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Craig800

Nov 4, 2022
Alberta, Canada
Good day all. My wood stove is currently in my basement and it actually heats up stairs rather well...although there is always room for improvement. My initial idea was to add a seperate thermostat tied into the furnace blower motor and set it come in at a certain high heat then it would suck air from the top ridge in my basement roof where the air gets traps( pic attached). Now I'm wondering if by simply adding vents and allowing the air to enter that dip in my basement roof which is my air return for my entire house if it would flow up stairs and out the return air vents behind my couch in the living room and Into the hallway where the bed rooms are. What's everyone's thoughts??? You can see the temp difference the hot air gets stuck on the wood stove side of the dip in the roof.

PXL_20221109_164719693.jpg PXL_20221109_164708274.jpg PXL_20221109_164637021.jpg PXL_20221109_164629897.jpg

If cutting vents means into the return air duct, I would caution that could create problems. Return vents need to be at least 10 ft from the stove. If the furnace came on in the middle of the night, with a fire dying down, there could be a chance of reversing the draft on the stove.

92º is not too bad. As an alternative, put a small fan on the floor pointing up at that warmer area to equalize the room temp.

Reactions: Craig800
If cutting vents means into the return air duct, I would caution that could create problems. Return vents need to be at least 10 ft from the stove. If the furnace came on in the middle of the night, with a fire dying down, there could be a chance of reversing the draft on the stove.

92º is not too bad. As an alternative, put a small fan on the floor pointing up at that warmer area to equalize the room temp.
Yes into the return ducts. I never thought of the reverse effect but makes perfect sense. Thanks.

If you can push cold air into the basement with a fan, there won't be pressure issues with the stove,.and it'll push out warm air up the stairs.

Honestly even when it's -30c outside it heats the house pretty fast including up stairs. I can stand at the stairs and it feels like a fan is blowing up them there is so much heat coming up. I was just thinking of a way to make it a little better without adding energy for a fan or what not. Right now we have a cold air supply down stairs in our utility room for our furnace and water heater. That room howls cold air so we keep the door shut....but it still seeps maybe that's why the heat goes up our stairs so well