Heat circulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caleb90

Oct 2, 2021
Ky
Greetings, so i just bought a new home that has central air with a heat pump as the only source of heat. Not being thrilled with it, i just installed a pelpro pp130. Now i am trying to figured out how to move the heat around. Thinking of trying to use the hvac fan to move it, but the heat vents run under the house in a crawl space but they are insulated. Other option is just good ole fans to blow heat down the hall ways to the kids rooms. Looking to see what some of yall have done. Thanks

Greetings, so i just bought a new home that has central air with a heat pump as the only source of heat. Not being thrilled with it, i just installed a pelpro pp130. Now i am trying to figured out how to move the heat around. Thinking of trying to use the hvac fan to move it, but the heat vents run under the house in a crawl space but they are insulated. Other option is just good ole fans to blow heat down the hall ways to the kids rooms. Looking to see what some of yall have done. Thanks
so far we have found that using a ceiling fan & 1 floor fan [both in stove room] move it very well , get the far rooms up to your comfort temp [in our case the second floor bed rooms] then keep the house at those temps. just finished our 1st pallet this morning as stove has been running 24/7 since mid september , stove room runs 75-81 and upstairs rooms about 70-73 in our 123 yr old un-insulated 1700 sqr' home in the Adirondack mnts . Took a while to get the temperature sensor in a good spot for our desired results . in our case letting it protrude from the stoves back 3-4" about a 1/2" from the wall worked best as it keeps it from shutting down & restarting multiple times day/night . The ceiling fan in the stove room we run reversed so it draws cool air up that mixes w/ the hot air then the floor pedestal fan pushes it towards a doorway near the stair case in this fashion we pull cool air in from the surrounding rooms . Using the heating systems fan trying to circulate the hot air didn't work for us . Good luck

2022-11-28 001.jpg

I use the central air/heat pump in fan only mode to move and filter the air.

My only gripe with this , is that the fan would always be running. I would like to hook the fan up to a tstat
My Lennox heat pump, a/c and resistance heat strips don't run when I have the fan in circulation mode. It cycles on and of just like if it were in any other mode. My thermostatis a Lennox model. $$$ My air handler is in the basement with the P61a. I opened up my air return venting and the air handler sucks the heated air in and distributes thru the house. I also us a couple small fans to move the cooler air back towards the stove. Easier to move cool air around than warm air. Took a while to get this all working. I use my central staircase as a cold air return to the basement, fan on the floor then returns cool air towards the stove, then the cycle starts all over again. I'm good down to 10 degrees outside heating 3,500 sq. ft. with one Harman P61a. Any colder and I kick on the heat strips to supplement the stove. Only cycles on a couple times an hour. 9th season using this setup and keeps us nice and toasty. Using 5-6 ton a year.

My Lennox heat pump, a/c and resistance heat strips don't run when I have the fan in circulation mode. It cycles on and of just like if it were in any other mode. My thermostatis a Lennox model. $$$ My air handler is in the basement with the P61a. I opened up my air return venting and the air handler sucks the heated air in and distributes thru the house. I also us a couple small fans to move the cooler air back towards the stove. Easier to move cool air around than warm air. Took a while to get this all working. I use my central staircase as a cold air return to the basement, fan on the floor then returns cool air towards the stove, then the cycle starts all over again. I'm good down to 10 degrees outside heating 3,500 sq. ft. with one Harman P61a. Any colder and I kick on the heat strips to supplement the stove. Only cycles on a couple times an hour. 9th season using this setup and keeps us nice and toasty. Using 5-6 ton a year.
I can turn my fan on auto or just on. But if i turn the heat setting to off so my heat pump does not run the fan will only run in the on position and its constant

I use couple of box fans with gribber bans and 20" filter on them. Does the job. HVAC does nothing I can tell. Sure it's noisy, but I turn it down for tv. Even the Pellet Stove (HarmonXXV). Filters help with dust.
Amazon product ASIN B0117ILCM8
I heat my 2200 ranch house (shaped like an L) with 2 pellet stoves all winter. One at each end of the L. I have found that it works much better using a few box fans with filters on them to blow the cooler air located at floor level towards the stoves. This causes the heated air higher in the room to flow out and spread. I also have ceiling fans in a couple of rooms that run on low and reverse the whole time.

I know there is a t least one forum member who has had good luck blowing the hot air around, but they used fans mounted to their ceiling since the hot air rises.

I would also try running the fan on your HVAC unit. It will help keep dust down and could also help move some heat around. Probably wouldn’t do it all on its own, but it could help.

My box fan setup. I purchased the clips of Amazon.
0A420A4A-4911-4569-B6A6-386AAD06EF4E.jpeg