Heat Distribution

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Try leaving the closet door open that is in the bedroom behind the stove, radiant heat. Move the fan in the stove room closer to the door and point it towards the stove. If you have central heating/ac try turning just the fan on to circulate the air. And lastly, stop burning oak. Try burning a softer wood like poplar in these cool days and save the oak for the cold days. If you have no softer woods check craigslist. Most wood sellers, at least in my area, have difficulties selling soft woods so you may find a deal on some well seasoned soft wood.

You might want to try putting some of the shrink insulating film over the windows farthest from the stove. Maybe insulating these just a little more will reduce the heat loss in those areas and make you a little more comfortable throughout the house.

Reactions: Poindexter
Try leaving the closet door open that is in the bedroom behind the stove, radiant heat. Move the fan in the stove room closer to the door and point it towards the stove. If you have central heating/ac try turning just the fan on to circulate the air. And lastly, stop burning oak. Try burning a softer wood like poplar in these cool days and save the oak for the cold days. If you have no softer woods check craigslist. Most wood sellers, at least in my area, have difficulties selling soft woods so you may find a deal on some well seasoned soft wood.

Great idea on the closet door! I will have to try that. I'm hesitant to move the fan in the stove room because then I'd be blowing hot air at cold. I thought I read somewhere that using just the furnace fan creates a negative pressure situation that is dangerous for the stove's operation. Maybe someone more knowlegeable than I would like to chime in on this. I had someone else tell me to burn some other wood but I'm not sure if I can find that. Everyone I see with wood for sale has hardwood - oak, maple, hickory and the like.

You might want to try putting some of the shrink insulating film over the windows farthest from the stove. Maybe insulating these just a little more will reduce the heat loss in those areas and make you a little more comfortable throughout the house.

Good point. The door to my enclosed porch does not currently close correctly (broken doorknob, waiting on it to be fixed) so it's blocked off and covered with a blanket. There is an old style window next to it that I could certainly insulate better, whether with film or otherwise. The rest of the windows in the house are all replacement (except for one in the bedroom behind the kitchen but that room is only used occasionally and is shut a majority of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.