Heat Exchange Tubes for Quad Castille(cleaning)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MainePellethead

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2007
Southern Maine
If any Castille owners, JTP or others that are familiar with the cleaning of the heat exchange tubes can give me some input on the cleaning of the Exchange Tubes that would be great. :) I do my regular pulling of the Heat Exchange Tubes cleaning....also when I pull the cover off once or week or so I wipe down the bottom of the heat exchange tubes the best I can. My question is....how do I easily get to the "top" of the heat exchange tubes to clean them up? Thanks...

Good question Aw. Someone posted what I believe was a bottle brush at one time, I have one that I bent to fit around the tubes. Long narrow brush for cleaning the inside of bottles. It is a tight fit even so. Not sure if you can remove the tubes at all, maybe some will chime in? The slides only seems to clean the center tubes, my outside ones always need a bit more work.

I just use a screwdriver and a brush attachment on the vacuum. Works good enough.

jtp10181 said:
I just use a screwdriver and a brush attachment on the vacuum. Works good enough.

Hey...I like the brush attachment idea...they actually have a small kit for the shop vac for computer keyboard etc...maybe I'll try that....thanks.

GotzTheHotz said:
Good question Aw. Someone posted what I believe was a bottle brush at one time, I have one that I bent to fit around the tubes. Long narrow brush for cleaning the inside of bottles. It is a tight fit even so. Not sure if you can remove the tubes at all, maybe some will chime in? The slides only seems to clean the center tubes, my outside ones always need a bit more work.

thanks hotz for the input....always good to try what works in the long run! :)

Jtp, can the tubes be removed at all? Summer project? Just curious. Thanks for your help today, for everyone else, jtp was able to track down a part number for me that my local stores could not. He got my sale needless to say. He also has my cc number now, I'll be watching that account closely, although I'm pretty much convinced that he is a stand up guy and it would be hard to tell who's charging the bar tab as I often forget....

Thanks jtp!

I know at one point in time we had a customer with a castile who had a tube fall down into the stove body further than the rest, and Quad sent us or directed us to a tool to pull it back into place. I was not part of that at all and only heard about it. From what I have seen they are not really meant to be removed. Banging around up there with a screwdriver seems to get them 90% clean and if you did get it 100% cleaned out its just going to get full of crud in one night anyway so I say... why bother.

I use a stiff wire paint brush to clean the tubes on my Enviro.

It's slim enough to fit between the tubes and stiff enough to scrape off the creosote.

the tubes are not made to come out cleaning the surface area is more then enough to keep it working right the best thing you can do is stay on top of the daily cleaning and makke sure the exhaust blower and housing get cleaned aleast once a year and the venting as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.