Heat for my small wood shop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MainePellethead

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2007
Southern Maine
Hi all:

Not sure if posted in the proper category, please move to proper area, web, if necessary thanks. I have a 10 x 14 (approx.) small workshop...i have insulated the ceiling in the shop area but not the walls. I tried a small propane heater but didnt seem sufficient and it burned alot of propane. So I now went to an electric heater(for now) but not sure this one is even where i want it. I'm not out there daily but just wanted something sufficient for when i am. I'm looking for suggestions on a reputable heater that will produce at a decent cost. For now I prefer an electric with a decent blower on it....but not a 220 connection. I appreciate any suggestions...would radiant heater be sufficient? Thanks!

Have you considered something like this:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200485121_200485121
They do burn propane, but a 100 pound cylinder will run one for quite some time. At 30,000 btu it should do a pretty good job of heating the area.

Or if you have Nat Gas. pipe it into the shop and get the NG version of the above stove? Just throwing ideas out.

I don't think you're going to be happy with a 110V electric in your space. To get any kind of legitimate output I think you're going to need to consider 220V.

I'd look at a 100lb propane tank as mentioned above. Or perhaps....a small wood burner? I mean really...this is a wood burning forum!

don't think you're going to be happy with a 110V electric in your space. To get any kind of legitimate output I think you're going to need to consider 220V.
2nd this. You'll get twice as much heat from a 240 VAC unit on the same amperage circuit.
I'd suggest you consider a radiant (e.g. quartz tube) unit and keep it nearby and pointed at you while you're working. Its will be hard to warm shop "space" with electric so you'll want to warm yourself.

One thing to be aware of is that heating a cooling a wood shop is going to increase rust on tools. If the shop remains cold, the humidity level is generally low. When you heat it up and work in there the humidity level goes up and then when you let it cool down at some point the excess humidity in the air will condense on cold surfaces like your tools. Where you may notice it is the machined surfaces of power tools like table saws. If you keep wax on the surfaces they usually don't get much impact but in the long run most folks recommend keeping a steady level of heat.

I would avoid anything with an exposed flame in a wood shop. Dust and finishing fumes are flammable.

When I was doing alot of wood work, I had a NG heater, the one finish I used was non flammable so I was safe right? Nope the off gassing of the finish reacted with the flame and turned to a toxic gas, brought me to my knees. Luckily I was able to get into the fresh air and realize what was happening. Be careful with what you decide.

One thing to be aware of is that heating a cooling a wood shop is going to increase rust on tools. If the shop remains cold, the humidity level is generally low. When you heat it up and work in there the humidity level goes up and then when you let it cool down at some point the excess humidity in the air will condense on cold surfaces like your tools. Where you may notice it is the machined surfaces of power tools like table saws. If you keep wax on the surfaces they usually don't get much impact but in the long run most folks recommend keeping a steady level of heat.

also great advice, learned this the hard way too.............

Insulate the shop and you will be able to heat it with a basic plugin, 120v electric heater.

Insulate the shop and you will be able to heat it with a basic plugin, 120v electric heater.
I agree with begreen. Insulation is the key. I operated a one-man commercial woodworking shop for 20 years in Michigan using just a single kerosene heater. The shop was not much bigger than a 2-car garage but had lots of insulation in the walls and ceiling. Even on the coldest days I could get the shop temperature up to 55 degrees which is perfectly comfortable when working. Now, electric heat is probably preferable to kerosene or propane since you don't have to be concerned about fumes or the interaction of wood dust and finishing materials with an open flame.
ChipTam

Reactions: Swedishchef
Status
Not open for further replies.