Heat forming UHMW

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjr23

Nov 2, 2009
Eastern WA
I need to make a 44" inside radius circle out of some 1" thick by 16" wide by 11-1/2' long sheet UHMW. Does anyone have any experience heat forming UHMW? Can this be done? bjr23

I"m not sure exactly what you're doing but I seen HDPE formed after heating in a pizza oven or under uniform radiant heating. The surface will change its reflectance properties when it gets hot enough to form easily.

It can be done, I've done it but never with anything that thick. .375" is as thick as I have heat formed. I used a heat gun and a propane torch with the weed burner end, and it took a long time to get it up to temp to bend, you don't want it to catch on fire :). I am assuming you have a jig that you can fit it to to hold shape while it cools. You might have to repeat it several times to get it to hold shape. 1" UHMW is pretty heavy stuff, is there any way you can get by with thinner material or is this was the job requires? Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.