Heat & Glow Metal Expansion Kit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Bug

Nov 23, 2005
Clarks Summit,Pa.
Hi,
Has anyone ever heard of a metal exspansion kit available for a Heat & Glow FB Grand gas fireplace insert. This kit is suppose to take the bang noise out of the metal shroud that surrounds the ceramic firebox. This metal shrould only is installed on units with the optional blower kit.
Hearth & Home Technologies Customer Service Dept. just e-mailed me that one is available, if not already installed on the unit.
As per my past posts note; this metal exspansion causes the bang, that causes the ceramic logs inside the firebox to slide out of the correct position causing sooting and marking to the back of the ceramic firebox and the ceamic glass front of the unit.
If the company is not exsperienceing a metal exspansion problem, why would they design a kit to eliminate a non existant problem?
John

There is a general kit available that I have heard of, which was not specific to any single fireplace. If its the one I'm thinking of it would not be very practical to use on an insert though. Its possible they have another kit that is for inserts. I always just jam metal triangles up around the sides to put tension on the outer shell. I have never had this problem from a insert though, usually just built in units. Normally it happens if the unit gets installed a little out of square. It will make once section of the outer shell sag or be loose, and when it heats up it will bang. Never have had it move anything in the firebox though, just annoy the customer with the noise. FYI the metal shroud comes on the unit, it is always there regardless if you have a fan or not.

Its unfortunate that your dealer is not more helpful or knowledgeable, and you seem to want to take this out on the MFG. You have to remember this is an isolated case not a widespread issue.

Do you want me to figure out a fix for you? I can make a drawing that would show someone how to make the triangles I am talking about with the measurements for an FB-Grand. I would have to check out our showroom unit first to see if its even possible though, and take measurements.

If you have any more info about this kit I would be interested as to what comes with it.

Its unfortunate that your dealer is not more helpful or knowledgeable, and you seem to want to take this out on the MFG. You have to remember this is an isolated case not a widespread issue.

Jtp,
I have just recieved an unread, deleted e-mail from Hearth & Home Technologies. In this e-mail, I questioned them on this Expansion Kit, what it consists of, what its purpose was, etc.
Well, apparently, they decided not to deal with my questions on this problem, and just deleted my e-mail unread.
Heres the clincher, not only did they delete my e-mail unread, but I cannot forward or reply any more e-mails to the H&H;Customer Service Dept.. Apparently, they blocked any more follow up e-mails from me.
As far as your quoted statement above, if "this is an isolated case and not a widespread issue", why the heck would they create a kit to rectify this problem if it truely isn't widespread and is isolated?
At this point, any assistance you can lend to this problem will be greatly apprecaited.
I will continue to follow up on this to H&H;by attempting to contact Mr. Seve Tate, who supplied and installed this unit in my home personallly.
After this, if no satisfaction is achieved, I will forward the past e-mails to my State Attorney Generals Office to review.
Thanks,
John

If someone deletes an e-mail it does not send it back to the original sender. I am going to PM you my work email, please forward any correspondence you have had with HHT to me and I will deal with it. I forgot to measure for the kit today but if you email me this weekend I will remember on Monday.

jtp10181 said:
If someone deletes an e-mail it does not send it back to the original sender. I am going to PM you my work email, please forward any correspondence you have had with HHT to me and I will deal with it. I forgot to measure for the kit today but if you email me this weekend I will remember on Monday.

It does if you send it with read receipt requested from the e-mail tool bar. I have them saved on the computer.

I forgot about the possibility of Read Receipts, I never use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.