Heat Loss calc software

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jun 26, 2013
SouthCoast Region, MA
Can anyone point me to a link where I can find a decent, relatively easy to use heat-loss calculator?

Long story short, last weekend storm here in New England resulted in us losing power overnight and flooded the basement. Woke up to 2 feet of water in the basement. Fortunately, not finished, but we lost the washer/dryer and the furnace -- water was almost up to the bottom of the honeywell controller, but effectively the burner, all the lower electronics, and interior chamber were all flooded.

Boiler was a 3-section Burnham installed about 1991, about 100KBTU from what I have been able to ascertain.

Since then, I have done major work on the house, added about 700 sq ft of living space on the 1st floor and added a dormer on the 2nd floor which added quite a bit of space as well. Also, the boiler was originally installed as part of a hydro-air system, which I have subsequently converted to baseboard FHW and ripped out all the duct work.

This is a 300 y/o farmhouse which is fairly loose, has some but less-than-standard insulation in many areas (as well as some areas with zero insulation), and single-pane glass windows with a storm window for most windows. I've never done a FLIR probe of the house, but I'm probably on safe ground to say it flares up like a christmas tree.

I mentioned this to the oil guy who came out to look at the damage, and asked if they could do a proper heat-loss calculation to ensure the replacement boiler is adequate, as I think I probably need a larger boiler. He said he would.

Got my quote in the mail Friday, and they're proposing another 3-section Weil-Mcclane WGO in its place.

So, I think what they did is simply do what most furnace people do -- "oh, that's a 100k btu boiler, so we'll just quote one the same size".

Well, I heat mainly with wood in the winter and leave the house at 50 on the thermostat, so the boiler almost never does any 'hard work' since my Jotul F55 is carrying most of the heating load in the main living space, and those zones I do not use much in the winter are maintained at 50 by the boiler. I've never attempted to keep the whole house at 70 degrees using the boiler -- not sure if it could.

I found a Slant-Fin heat-loss calculator on my phone, but its tough to use and I had to make some educated guesses as to what figures I should use. For instance I have no idea how to figure out how many BTUs my basement needs, I do have 1 zone of heat down there but much of the "basement" is open to crawlspaces where is there is no heat other than what comes off the boiler and the 1 zone I have down there (which is mainly to keep the well tank and associated equipment from freezing in the winter.) Then I had to guess about other things, like how to account for sections of the house which are built over a concrete slab which is 12" above grade, etc.

I ended up, after all was said and done, with an estimate of 150kBTU (with a 61 degree temperature differential, Boston's ASHRAE 99% # is 9 degrees, and I used an indoor temp of 70) but, like I indicated, the software isn't exactly the easiest to use and some of the options probably make sense to an HVAC guy but not to me. That would put me in a 5-section boiler not a 3 section.

Since I'm replacing the boiler, I want to make sure I replace it with one that can handle the load should the wood stove not be in use. Or, am I off-base in that respect?

I have a call in to the company to speak to the person who quoted the boiler... and I want to protect myself from the "yeah we ran the numbers and that's what we came up with"... An educated consumer is, after all, a smart consumer.

On the up-side, the Jotul, our only source of heat now, is still cranking along, keeping the main section of the house livable (and the outskirts tolerable in the high 40's. Outside temps in the 40's haven't hurt, either. Going to end up burning a full 3 cord this year, I think.

Last edited:
U are on the right path wanting a system that could heat your place easily. Building code has probably changed since the original unit was installed. U could contact a local building inspector and they could help u out

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Reactions: ToltingColtAcres
Cool calc makes a good one. Their beta is free.

When I swapped out my boiler this fall, I went from 110-115k btu about 85% efficient to a 13-50k btu, 95% efficient. I then proceeded to cut the max supply temp from 194F down to 150F. It keeps me from short cycling and in the condensing zone longer.

Since the last boiler was installed I'd also done a good amount of insulation, sealing, and added 50% to the square footage.

The problem with any heat loss calculator is it doesnt consider the time it takes for the house to recover from a setback. If the boiler is sized to match the worst case heat loss, it will work but if for some reason you need to heat the house back up when the temp has dropped due to either using a setback thermostat or a power outage, it can take a very long time to get the place backup to temperature. Realistically there is no difference in the efficiency between a small boiler and large boiler except for standby losses. IMO, the far better investment is to buy a boiler designed for cold start as that gets rid of standby losses. A rule of thumb is a cold start boiler will save you 1 gallon a day of oil as its not trying to stay warm 24/7. A System 2000 is a nice option for a cold start boiler but the initial cost is high. The other nice thing with a System 2000 is that the physical size is puny, so it can be mounted up on stand to get it up off the floor or even hung off the ceiling. I have a friend with a very old home that has a basement floods on occasion and his sits up on 2 foot high stand mostly as the installer did it so he doesn't need to bend down to work on it. I got lucky and my cheap Crown conventional boiler can be run as a cold start unit. Considering I haven't bought oil for 4 years and still the running the tanks out, it doesnt get used much and I bought it in 1987

Good point, but is there an inefficiency by oversizing? Most setback temps are only 5-10º. I agree that recovering when it's zero outside is going to be slower than when it's 40º, but personally I would rather invest more in insulation and sealing to reduce heat losses. That pays off year round with heating and cooling.

The first link is for boilers. The calculation is based on worst case differential between heated goal and coldest outside temp. In our region a 70º ∆ is sufficient. The coldest I have ever seen it here was 8º and that was almost 50 yrs ago. In Mass do you design to a 90º ∆?

Last edited:
I think they design off -20 here. I've see it -teens at my house. If you plan to keep your house 70+, you're looking at 90F delta t.

The biggest problem that I've seen with oversizing is short cycling. More specifically, parts breaking from it.

I think the heat transfer would be the same regardless of the boiler or furnace size. If a house needs xxx btu to heat it to temp, the heater is going to produce that and shut off. You may have temperature swings with a big heater though.

Thanks for the links. I did try those as well before using the slant-fin calculator. They both came up with similar design numbers. I assume the variation has to do with my inability to accommodate exact conditions (e.g. how the floor is built, etc.) in each application.

I have two additional HVAC people coming tomorrow to do a walk-through and I’ve prepared a spreadsheet that gives all room dimensions, windows/door square footage, insulation factors, etc.

Since I principally use my Jotul when I am home during the winter, I will lean towards a cold-start design. I use point-of-presence hot-water heaters so I do not need to maintain a separate heated DHW supply.

No help on the heat loss calc, but would love some photos of the 300 year old farm house. We have very few examples more than 275-280 years old, around here, and your New England construction is usually a little different than what we see.