1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

heat miser VS cold miser

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by thetraindork, Oct 6, 2012.

1. thetraindork

thetraindork Member

Loc:
    miamisburg, ohio
    my neighbor keeps his windows open until January. he's always hot. i get the itch to fire up the stove and i hate it cold. not that he complains but i can hear him shut his windows when i fire up. somehow i hear the heat miser/cold miser song from "year without a santa claus" every time i fire the englander smoke dragon up.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    I can't stand it being cold in the house. My rule is; if I need more than a t-shirt and sweat pants to stay warm during the winter, something has gone horribly wrong or I have woken up in the wrong house, again.

Which could happen, since I drink. I'm not proud. But it happens. Don't judge.
    GAMMA RAY, mfglickman, pen and 4 others like this.
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I value having great neighbors. Maybe increase the flue height and burn only nicely dried wood a little hotter to reduce smoking by the furnace?
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    The one on the place to the South of me I would love to bury in smoke sometimes. But the prevailing winds always are out of the South. :mad: So all that happens is that those nasty clothes dryer fabric softener sheets they use choke me.
    hilbiliarkiboi likes this.
  5. thetraindork

thetraindork Member

Loc:
    miamisburg, ohio
    i value my neighbors as well, just talked to him today and he says he can't smell it. must be his wife. i run good, hot fires. or at least try to. they need to make smoke scented dryer sheets.
    hilbiliarkiboi likes this.
  6. CT-Mike

CT-Mike Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New England
    Won't judge on the fact that you drink, or wake up in the wrong house. But will judge you if you drink cheap beer. Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
    jharkin likes this.
  7. schortie

schortie Member

Loc:
    michigan
    UM...

<-----------
  8. Monosperma

Monosperma Member

Loc:
    Colorado/NewMexico
    We had some tenants, a few years back, that followed your T-shirt rule, only they did not have the gear, skills, or motivation, to collect much firewood. By late September, with days in the 70's and nights in the 40's, they had gone through what little firewood they had gathered. Then they turned up the propane heat and continued to prance around, barefoot and in T-shirts. Then one night, they skipped out before Christmas, leaving a nice empty propane tank. I guess I should be grateful they left that.
  9. Treacherous

Treacherous Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WA state
    Not at all.... I'm enjoying several foo-foo screwdrivers in front of my first fire of the season.
  10. Treacherous

Treacherous Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WA state
    I do too. About 50% are wood burners and the other half are propane burners/heat pumps/electric.
  11. mfglickman

mfglickman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW CT
    The Fireside candle from Bath and Body Works is pretty good for a wood fire scent. Big ones 2/$20 and there's some free shipping deal this weekend too...
  12. Monosperma

Monosperma Member

Loc:
    Colorado/NewMexico
    It is always sad when one's wife smells so bad the windows must be shut when she is in the yard. ;)