Heat N Glo Fireplace Continues to Burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

koronis

Nov 7, 2016
Minnesota
I have a Heat N Glo Model ST-TRC-DSI, about 14 years old used moderately during the Minnesota winters. I turn the gas off to the unit during the summer and turn it on in the fall.

This fall the unit turns on fine but when I turn it off it continues to burn with a low flame. I have three other units of the same model that work fine but this one which is used frequently presents this problem.

Bottom line..I can't turn it off completely. Done a lot of searching and its hard to find others having this problem.

Any ideas here?

Thanks

Followed and moved this post as I released it.
Sounds like the control is failing to close properly and will need to be replaced. Some close to normal temps coming this Friday then back to nice temps.
Good luck and welcome

I have a Heat N Glo Model ST-TRC-DSI, about 14 years old used moderately during the Minnesota winters. I turn the gas off to the unit during the summer and turn it on in the fall.

This fall the unit turns on fine but when I turn it off it continues to burn with a low flame. I have three other units of the same model that work fine but this one which is used frequently presents this problem.

Bottom line..I can't turn it off completely. Done a lot of searching and its hard to find others having this problem.

Any ideas here?

Thanks

What are you using to control the unit? Wall switch, tech switch (underneath the unit) or some sort of thermostat/remote?

Using remote. I can hear the valve "click" normally, it's just that apparently a small amount of gas is still getting through the valve/control. If I turn the valve to "off" the small residual flame goes out. I then turn it back to "on" position and click remote and it comes back on, but when going to "off" on the remote the small flame is still there. I visualize there is a moveable part in the valve that isn't sealing?? Anybody have a diagram of how these are designed/built?

Definitely sounds like the gas valve, although they rarely fail.
I have only seen one or two valve failures in the last 16 years.
If you can get the model number off the valve body, one of us
should be familiar with it and might be able to tell you how to test it.

The Valve is PN 792826497
ROBERTSHAW 710-511 1/2" x 3/8" Millivolt Snap Acting Low Profile Gas Valve HI-LO

Can these be tested?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.