Heat N Glo stand alone natural gas heater pilot won't stay lit when you let off the button???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

QuintonG23

Nov 14, 2023
Michigan
Backstory: I have a Heat N Glow stand alone (at least 20 years old) heater. I turned off the pilot and gas to clean out the box before I start using it for the season.

Issue: Once the box was cleaned and everything put back in it's place, the pilot light will no longer stay lit when I let go of the button (On/Off/Pilot button).

Troubleshooting: I checked the millivolts at the gas controller, and the thermopile is reading over 350mv (the controller is a thermopile only and has a wire going to where the thermocouple would go, I checked that as well and it's reading over 350mv as well).

Current Conclusion: At this point, I'm afraid I may have to buy a new gas controller.

Anyone have any ideas of what it could be other than the gas controller?

Also, I have a Robertshaw No Turndown Millivolt Controller Thermopile Only installed.

Every manual I can find shows a valve with thermopile AND thermocouple. I don’t remember this model…
Anybody else?

Every manual I can find shows a valve with thermopile AND thermocouple. I don’t remember this model…
Anybody else?
I am not the first owner of this fireplace. It is possible that the previous owner swapped out the gas valve. The valve has a wire that goes from the connector of the thermopile to the back of the valve that is presumably where the thermocouple would connect. There is a thermocouple in the unit, but it is not connected to anything and there is no place for it to connect on the valve.