heat output on a 30 year old baseboard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugar

Oct 12, 2008
East central KS
Don't know what make of baseboard but what was an average output of an old baseboard. I'm thinking my old boards don't give off enough heat. My circulators are running nonstop with 178 deg water and max temp in house is 70 on cold days.

thanks

Vacuum the dust and cat hair out of the fins. Make sure there isn't a couch with a long dust ruffle on it sitting in front of most of it blocking the flow of air over it. Turn the high limit on your wood boiler up to 190 degrees... at least 185... heat transfer from baseboard radiation occurs better at 180 degrees... you'll move more air with the higher temperatures.

Mine works better at 185 than at lower temperatures. The oil burner doesn't run nearly as much because there is a bigger "pad" between the two.

Rugar said:
Don't know what make of baseboard but what was an average output of an old baseboard. I'm thinking my old boards don't give off enough heat. My circulators are running nonstop with 178 deg water and max temp in house is 70 on cold days.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.