heat shield cerfractory flue sealant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matchlight

Sep 27, 2011
Wilmington, de
My chimney sweep found that I have some cracks in my chimney tiles. I have gotten several estimates from companies for installing a smaller stainless steel liner which will require getting a new stove with a 6" outlet pipe. I company came out today and gave me a quote on repairing the chimney using heat shield cerfractory flue sealant. Has anyone used this for repairing their chimney or know anyone who has used it?

Matchlight, welcome to hearth.com forums. Not sure why no one has answered your questions, but I will bump it. What are you burning into the flue now? fireplace or stove? You must have a good flue no matter what. A questionable flue is just not worth the risk. If you don't trust the chimney sweep, get another opinion.

Matchlight, welcome as well...what size is your flue?

I'll go out on a limb and say you are probably going to want to seriously consider a full stainless liner. Probably more $ but you get piece of mind.

My flue is 8", which is the same size as the outlet pipe of the stove. Going with the heat shield refractory I could keep my current stove. If I go with the stainless steel liner it would have to be a 6" liner which would require buying a new stove with a 6" outlet pipe. After looking at the new stoves and seeing how much more efficiently they burn I am considering getting a new stove regardless of which repair I go with on the chimney. The company that is offering the heat shield service is telling me they could install the 6" liner but they do not recommend doing that as they say it will not leave enough room to properly insulate all the way around the liner. The price difference between the heat shield service and the 6" liner is minimal, so that is not a factor in my decision. I want to go with what will be the safest and best performance for the stove. Would I see a difference in the performance of the stove by venting a stove with a 6" outlet into a 6" liner versus venting it into a 8" flue that has been resurfaced with the heat sheild refractory?

Status
Not open for further replies.