Heat shield mounted to wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill67

Feb 3, 2013
Greetings to all. I am new to this forum and have a question. I have been using a wood stove now for exactly 4 weeks and it's been quite nice here in central Ohio. I spent the last 3 months doing my own installation for a Haugh S24XE stove. It is older, but is EPA certified. (Haugh is now Century). I built a stone veneer surround for this stove for a corner installation. Corner clearance to combustibles is specified as 7 inches. I have about 8.5 inches but have noticed the stone work being fairly hot to the touch, despite the fact I am over the minimum clearance. (Note: this wall is not vented). I have measured the stone temperatures as high as 129 degrees F. I have been concerned with the heat buildup within the wall. So I experimented with heat shields along the side of the stove. They are 1.5 inches from the stove sides and bent around the back and are mounted to the rear factory shield with 2 screws. Now the stone veneer stays at room temperature. I like that, but finally, my question: Does anyone here see a potential danger to the stove with this? I can keep the stove at about 575 degrees round the clock. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• Heat shield mounted to wood stove
    HPIM1134.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 275
Welcome to the forum Bill.

I see no problem either way. 129 on the wall is not that hot but putting on a rear heat shield will also give you more heat out the front of the stove. Also 575 should be no problem and I'd think you could go higher. Most manufacturers will give a recommended high temperature. For example, Hearthstone says 600, Woodstock says 700. Others can go even higher but I'd get pretty nervous over 750 for sure.

I know that I would void my warranty if I used a non-Jotul Castine heat shield. I am investigating using one as my stove is in front of a firelplace with an exterior chimney and I possibly am losing heat this way. Not sure why I have to use the Mfg. shield except it may be designed to be the appropriate distance from the rear cast well so as not to overheat the rear wall of the stove.

I don't see any harm to this shield. It certainly is not going to hurt the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.