Heat shield on woodstove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jman#1

Oct 19, 2023
Vancouver Island, BC
Hi, I'm trying to identify the heat shield on my woodstove pipe. It has a made in Canada lettering on it but the sticker has worn off. It's 30 years old and is three separate 1ft sections screwed together. Seems to work fine, just checking if it is or ever was code in Canada.
Thanks

20231019_143128.jpg

That looks like Security, double-wall stove pipe. It meets Canadian code.

Reactions: Heat Maxx
Thanks Begreen I appreciate your help. I had a WETT inspection last week and he wrote that I need to "remove the double wall and add to the single wall. To use 6" BSP: 1-18" and 1 slip, with three screws in each joint."
It puzzles me because it's all original parts in my Pre-fab home which was inspected and approved.

That is puzzling. It needs clarification.

Hey Begreen, I got some clarification and also attached another pic as the first only shows the double wall stove pipe. There is black wall pipe beyond, and the inspector wants it one or the other as the two can't be together. Does this sound right? Thanks again, Johnny

Yup. That makes a difference. I agree it should all be double-wall.

Right on, thanks for confirming. I don't understand how removing the 3ft of doublewall can be any safer, but if that's code I'll do it.
All the best
We can't see the rest of the installation to verify. What does the single-wall connect to above it? It might be clearance related. Single wall needs 18", double-wall 6".

It's no clearance issue, I can make it all single wall or all double wall and he approves it. He says the two types can't be combined and I don't see any reason that would make it a safety issue, it's been this way for 31 years.

Makes no sense to me. Just go double wall and youll be fine. Im sure youlll hear otherwise, so its up to you. Im starting to think no one one here has a " perfect " install.