Heat source1

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lammi66

Feb 24, 2008
SW MI
I have been told by a re-seller of Heatsource1 outdoor boilers, of Beatrice NE, that they have a down draft stand alone outdoor gasifier and it is also an updraft conventional outdoor wood boiler that hold around 325 gallons in the jacket. I have searched for info. online, however no luck?? Anybody heard of such a thing??

lammi66 said:
I have been told by a re-seller of Heatsource1 outdoor boilers, of Beatrice NE, that they have a down draft stand alone outdoor gasifier and it is also an updraft conventional outdoor wood boiler that hold around 325 gallons in the jacket. I have searched for info. online, however no luck?? Anybody heard of such a thing??

GIYF - http://www.heatsource1.com/index.jsp is their website home page... Looking around their site briefly, I couldn't find ANYTHING that made me think they had the foggiest idea of what gasifcation is, other than what you get after consuming to many beans...

Everything I saw looked like your pretty much standard "fire in a box of water" style OWB, with possibly a few extra features that might make it a bit easier to operate. Within the limits of the design, it did look like a decent unit, but I certainly wouldn't want one anywhere near where I had to breathe... I was also underwhelmed by the lack of specs on some of the "accessories" they had listed, like insulated PEX that didn't say what size it was...

The unit does have a forced draft, which they said does both up and down draft air injection so that may have been what your re-seller was talking about.

I didn't see any sign or mention of anything that looked like a gasifier design.

Gooserider

Watch out for a lot of fast talking, vague descriptions, and fuzzy specs from a lot of the traditional OWB manufacturers as they try to hit the 2010 EPA guidelines while letting their customers do their field testing. I have a bad feeling a lot of folks are going to get stung. I haven't seen much evidence of integrity in the OWB playing field and see no reason to expect a change in attitude from that crowd.

My brothers sold HeatSource 1 for a number of years at their hardware store. They got tired of the company not honoring warranty work or parts and let them go. They stood behind a number of failures for their customers and got the shaft from Heat Source when they asked for reimbursement. Take that info for what it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.