Heat transfer thru a ceiling....is it worth it??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 5, 2014
nh
I have a Harmon pellet stove P68 in a finished basement....the ceiling is finished drywall.....I'm considering opening the ceiling right below a bathroom and possibly heating the wood underlayment and tile to warm up the bathroom.....put ceiling grates up to cover the opening....this would prevent the need for a fire damper controlled grate install...

do you think this would work???

I have a Harmon pellet stove P68 in a finished basement....the ceiling is finished drywall.....I'm considering opening the ceiling right below a bathroom and possibly heating the wood underlayment and tile to warm up the bathroom.....put ceiling grates up to cover the opening....this would prevent the need for a fire damper controlled grate install...

do you think this would work???
No. Especially with the limited amount of btus a pellet stove can produce.

I agree with webby3650 but if it is your only option and you want to overheat your basement a bit it is better than nothing. Heat rises so you will see some results but do not expect a miracle. You need to heat where you want the heat