Heatform issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodsong

Jan 11, 2011
Southern Cal.
I want to install an insert into my fireplace with a Superior Heatform in place, but the rear portion is too small for the insert. I've tried to force the rear apart by unconventional means only to come up 1 1/4" short. Aside from buying a different insert, can anyone give me some advice on what I can do? Is it adviseable to cut the Heatform? If I do, should I at least weld a plate back in place in order to close it off? Also, any thoughts on face sealing this insert so I won't have to cut out one of the tubes in the Heatform in order to install a liner. Thanks in advance for you all's input.

Woodsong said:
I want to install an insert into my fireplace with a Superior Heatform in place, but the rear portion is too small for the insert. I've tried to force the rear apart by unconventional means only to come up 1 1/4" short. Aside from buying a different insert, can anyone give me some advice on what I can do? Is it adviseable to cut the Heatform? If I do, should I at least weld a plate back in place in order to close it off? Also, any thoughts on face sealing this insert so I won't have to cut out one of the tubes in the Heatform in order to install a liner. Thanks in advance for you all's input.

Woodsong:

Many questions here...

I just finished installing a Hearthstone Clydesdale into my Superior Heatform fireplace. This was not an easy job, but the finished product made it worthwhile. One thing about installing an insert into the Heatform, when the job is done, you will have great heat shield and fire protection because you will be placing the insert inside 1/4 inch boiler plate steel - which is inside a masonry fireplace.

I can answer questions that you may have about this installation, and I have photos documenting the whole process.

The original owner homeowner, who personally sold the house to me, installed the Superior Heatform when he built the house in 1962. He gave the Heatform installation instructions to me. From these instructions, I know that the units were sold in many different sizes. What are the height X width X depth of your Heatform measured at its opening? This is the limiting factor of the size of the insert that you can place inside the Heatform.

By the way, I installed my Clydesdale in its "far forward" position, that is, maximum extension onto the hearth. With my Heatform, I had plenty of room side to side and front to back for installing the Clydesdale, but then I have one of the larger Heatforms.

To get the 6 inch insulated Flex King Pro SS pipe down to the Clydesdale, I hired a welder to cut out two of the heat tubes, and cut out the damper. I had to bring the welder back to cut out more of the Heatform, because I discovered that I could not bend the SS Flex King Pro pipe enough to connect the pipe to the Clydesdale. This pipe is not as flexible as one might like it to be.

As you know, the Heatform has ridges, and its the ridges that caused me a lot of work fitting the stop plates - which my welder then welded onto the Heatform. I figured that I would never need to get into to the area of the now removed damper, so I sealed it off permanently. Below are a few examples of photos from the "cut and weld" job.

If you wish, you can contact me via private message and I can answer more of your questions.

Good luck with your installation.

Attachments

• Post IMG_4702.jpg
    Post IMG_4702.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 2,055
  • Post IMG_4766.jpg
    Post IMG_4766.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,728
  • Post IMG_4722.jpg
    Post IMG_4722.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,372
  • Post IMG_4769.jpg