Heatilator EL-42 Conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the clearance to combustible specs in the owners manuals but I don't see where it talks about installing the stove in an alcove where everything will be non combustible material?
It will not all be noncombustible material it might be skinned in non combustibles but it will still be wood framing correct?

I see the clearance to combustible specs in the owners manuals but I don't see where it talks about installing the stove in an alcove where everything will be non combustible material?
The clearance is measured to the nearest combustible. If drywall, then that is the combustible. If studs behind cement board, then that is the combustible.

I went through a similar "what will fit in this small fireplace" process about a month ago. We went with a Quadra-Fire 2700i. We put down the deposit for the 2700i on 1/26, and now we're waiting...and waiting...and waiting. I'm tired of wasting $$$ on electric baseboard heat in our 1100 sqft ranch home. Looking forward to putting some of our woods to use. The only other small insert that looked to fit our fireplace was a Buck Model 18 (teensy tiny firebox) or Jotul C350 (no local dealer).

I went through a similar "what will fit in this small fireplace" process about a month ago. We went with a Quadra-Fire 2700i. We put down the deposit for the 2700i on 1/26, and now we're waiting...and waiting...and waiting. I'm tired of wasting $$$ on electric baseboard heat in our 1100 sqft ranch home. Looking forward to putting some of our woods to use. The only other small insert that looked to fit our fireplace was a Buck Model 18 (teensy tiny firebox) or Jotul C350 (no local dealer).

I'm not convinced the 2700I would heat my place? We have about 100of sqft downstairs and about 450 upstairs. We live in the mountains in nc, winters are not super bad.

just curious because if not the unit could overheat and cause problems
This seems quite unlikely. How would there be a greater risk of overheating than if there was an insulated block-off plate above it?

This seems quite unlikely. How would there be a greater risk of overheating than if there was an insulated block-off plate above it?
Because if those air passages are blocked there is no air circulating around the firebox which means there is no cooling any directions for any of these units clearly say do not obstruct those air passages in any way doing so is very dangerous and should absolutely never be done period a block off plate has no bearing on those inlets at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.