Q&A Heatilator Fireplace smells like glue !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

We have a 6 year old wood-burning fireplace which has been well maintained by having the "chimney man" clean it annually for the past three years (Before that- there was a previous home owner). The brick design includes the main firebox- and two side "heatilator" opening with a pair of lower intake and upper outflow vents made of brick. We also use a glass door which is usually kept closed- although there are several small circular holes below which are kept open. After burning a mixture of hard and soft woods (dry) for about a hour- a smell builds up in the room and the upper levels of our home. The heatilator sections put out the smell. The main fire box which hardly smells at all. After 1-2 hours- it smells like MASKING TAPE GLUE !
2. I temporarily sealed the heatilator vents with aluminum foil and that did reduce but not eliminate the smell. Of course- I don't want to have a bricklayer come in and seal up the vents permanently .This is so bad that we had to skip using it during our Christmas and new Year's holidays this year.

Answer:

1. I can only guess that insulation has been put in the wall against the fireplace and it starts outgassing when a certain temperature is hit.

2. Sealing the vents is dangerous as this cools the fireplace.My advice would normally be to burn the fireplace very hot for a long period of time with the doors and windows open. This would burn off any odors- etc. However- this does not take into consideration that the fireplace may have been installed incorrectly- and the smell may be burning of building material too close to the fireplace. In this case- burning this hot could cause a house fire ! From afar- that's all I can say. <p>You should definitely have a pro look at this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.