Heatilator pilot issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ekalb

Nov 11, 2014
MA
Hello,

first post here.

I have a 4 year old Heatilator natural gas fireplace (Model CD4236IR-C)

It operates via a remote control and whenever we go to turn on the standing pilot, you can see it trying to spark like it wants to start up instead of just staying lit until we ask it to start up. It does this until it works its way into lock out mode. If we press the start button, the pilot behaves the exact same way and eventually just goes into lock out mode as well. I have tried cleaning it up with steel wool, but it has made no difference.

So, I can't keep the pilot running without it going to lock out mode and we can't light the fireplace without it going to lock out mode.

Any ideas how I can further troubleshoot this issue?

If the pilot doesn't light at all, it almost sounds like there is no gas flow.
Have you tried to light it with the glass front removed?
Can you hear the gas flowing?
Can you smell gas?

If the pilot doesn't light at all, it almost sounds like there is no gas flow.
Have you tried to light it with the glass front removed?
Can you hear the gas flowing?
Can you smell gas?
The flame for the pilot shows up as it should when I press the button on the remote to try and turn the standing pilot on. The problem is that instead of just staying on as a pilot, you can see the spark as if it wants to light at the same time. It behaves the exact same way as it does when you press the button to turn the fireplace on.

The pilot should just stay on without trying to do anything else. Its as if its getting mixed signals on how to behave.
We used to have our standing pilot on at all times. Now we can't do that, but not because of gas flow.

Ok. It wasn't clear from your first post that the pilot was even lit. Sounds like a rectification issue, maybe check the ground wire to see if the connection is good...

Status
Not open for further replies.