Heating a Split Entry House

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjely

Nov 1, 2010
Harrison City,PA
I just installed my Napoleon 1402 a month ago and had about 5 fires in it already. By now the firebrick should have all the moisture out of them i think... My burner is in the basement and i have an open foyer to the up stairs but having trouble getting the heat to circulate through the house. Does anyone else that has a split entry with the fireplace in the game room have any luck getting the heat to the upstairs?

I have a split entry but I have my stove located at the foot of the stairs so the heat travels well up to the rest of the home. General rule of thumb is to install fans near the rooms that you want heat. Point the fans TOWARDS the stove. This may seem odd but the idea is that you want to take the cold air out of those rooms and send it towards the stove. The cold air is automatiticly replaced by the warmer rising air. I am also considering cutting vents in my floor but as of yet it is not needed. Good luck and try the fan idea, easy and cheap. Also if you have a ceiling fan in your starwell like allot of split entry home try using it in both positions to see what works best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.