Heating an old farm house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubba

Sep 20, 2015
Texas
My wife believes it is going to be a very cold winter. We have an old farm house, built in 1914. The house is on peir and beams. Not insulated well, about 1400 sq ft.the fireplace is a masonry , but chimney is straight up. I know we lose a lot of heat straight through the chimney. We get a little radiant heat from a fire, but not much. So my question is should I get an insert for the fireplace or a wood stove.the house is the old dog run style. Square, house with the fireplace in the front room. Wanting to install pretty quick so would appreciate any suggestions. What brands do you recommend. Also, we live in Texas so do not have the extreme winters like in some parts of the country.

Thanks Bubba

The dimensions of what you are working with will probably yield you better results. Also, is this a fully interior structure? Or is the outside of the fireplace on the outside of the home?

In all, if your fireplace opening is a big one, I'd go the route of a wood stove with full liner to the sky, and block off place installed above. I like this sort of installation as it is less dependent on a blower for getting the heat out into the room (especially in the event of a power outage) but a blower that comes with a wood stove is a nice help.

If it's a smaller fireplace, then an insert may be best, still a liner is a need to have item, and a block off plate suggested as well. But with the surround of an insert, may be more dependent on the blower to distribute the heat.

It is a smaller fire place . 24 high,14 deep, 30 wide. It was a double fireplace. I have a place we could mount a stove it that would provide more heat. I have been thinking just an insert. However, I just want to buy what is going to heat the best. Right now, we use central heat and air for house, but it never really gets warm. Inset would be better for space, but my wife really wants to be warm. I am going to build our ranch house in a year and take whatever I put in this one in the new house.

For an insert it looks like a Lopi Revere (or Avalon Rainier) insert might fit. What stove dealers do you have in your area and what brands do they sell?

The problem with the plan to move an insert to the new house is that you would have to build a full masonry fireplace just to house the insert. That is costly. If you can use a freestanding stove in front of the fireplace for now and then install it on a nice hearth in the new home that would save a bundle.

Can you post a picture of the current fireplace area so that we can see if there might be another option?

We do have lopi they are close to 3000 for their unit. I didn't know if I would have to order off the internet. I can modify the fireplace to make a few different units fit. I was looking at a napoleon and also a timberwolf. I don't know much about any of these three units. Trying to learn. I have to pull the trigger pretty quick.

Bubba

It would help to see the setup. Can you post a picture? A cell phone shot should work. Who will be installing this stove/insert?

Status
Not open for further replies.