Heating Hot Water.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some simple math................

I use ~300 gallons/year to heat my DHW. So.....
(300/12)*3.80 = $95.00 per month
I have 7 people in the house and my regular electric water heater does not cost near that much to run. Probably about $35 a month on the El bill, If that.

I have 7 people in the house and my regular electric water heater does not cost near that much to run. Probably about $35 a month on the El bill, If that.
Your rates may be much lower where you are.. Do you have municipal utilities? This would make a big difference!

Ray

PSNH estimates a monthly cost of $76.34 per month for a family of 4 using a 4500W tank.

I found a web page that shows an EF of 0.55 for an oil fired DHW system. So if this is correct then I should make an adjustment to the math in my last post.

$95.00 * 0.55EF = $52.25. This is now getting much closer to what I am finding on line in regards to operating cost of an electric DHW heater.

The question I have is the recovery time on the oil. We have three of us in the house. Two of us take showers in the morning, then the wife my do laundry and at nigh the kid showers and we do dishes. The question is will the we be able to do all these things the same why with electric DHW like the one from Nyle? I already have a boiler mate that I would use. Just do not want to upset the wife if she has to wait for her shower or we can not do the dishes and the kid take a shower at the same time. Thoughts?

What size tank do you have? Gallons and watts? Can it keep up with the demand?

I would team up a marathon water heater up with a stand alone heat pump water heater or skip the heat pump water heater. These units have a plastic tank and extra insulation that carries a LIFETIME warranty on the tank. Many utilities have discounted prices on the units. I am going with a marathon unit and later plan to back it up with a heat pump water heater. These are Rheem units.

My water heater is due for replacement this spring at 6yrs old the base is rusting and it is a cheap builders grade unit. It will be my last trip up the steps carrying a water heater which are always heavier on the way up the steps. If we stay in this home it will pay for itself on replacement cost alone and will offer peace of mind when the basement is finished about having one rust out and give the surroundings a bath.

http://www.marathonheaters.com/

I have Boiler Mate 41 gallon storage tank which is 115volts and says less than 12amps. It keeps up with demand fine. I am just wondering if I go with the Nyle add on system if it will keep up with the demand and if the recovery time will be too long? I like the Nyle system because its made in Maine but want to make sure it will work, I do not want to have someone take one shower and then have to wait 30 min for it recover (heat up the water again) in order to take the next shower.

30 gal w 2 heating elements. No problem with demand , I never run out of hot water. I did turn it up slightly when the 2 house guests arrived,still never ran out of HW.
When i turn off my stoker in spring and start using electric for the summer my bill does not really change. I guess the HW heater is using no more electric than the stoker fan and pusher motor was.

Status
Not open for further replies.