Heating the house with sticks and small splits.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldspark

Now that I have the air movement problem fixed and the wind is not out of the south I can heat the house with sticks (2 inch round) and small splits, I have a bunch of splitting to do before next winter and some this winter. Any one else that went from a old type wood burner to a EPA one find they need smaller wood. Its funny I am running the Summit some what like I did the Nashua, small hot fires, the one difference is making sure I turn it down so the secondaries function. Its amazing how long the stove gives off heat on a load of Oak sticks and small splits.

Oldspark - I was able to get away with this during the shoulder season, but right now, I don't think I could get by with the small stuff - but I'm heating a pretty big space. But...during shoulder season, those sized splits and rounds were awesome for fast, hot fires and they did get the stove nice and hot for not too long. Always nice to have a lot of different sized splits/rounds to have this kind of flexibility. Cheers!

yeah, i remember reading posts about the T5 and T6 being "happy" to burn on smaller splits/loads but didn't know just how "happy" until I tried it. Many nights I burn my stove just on 3 or 4 splits (after the initial start up load is ignited and burned down to coals) and the 3 or 4 splits brings my Cave up to 70* from a cool 58-60.

My initial start up load is only 2 small splits (N/S), criss crossed kindling on top of that, and then two more small splits (N/S) on the very top. That load of small wood brings the room temp up quite a bit, and burns for sometime if I let it. Pretty impressive, I must say.

I also burn small and get more than enough heat. Actually I would be scared to pack my stove like I see alot of members do. Would be afraid of a super nova in my living room.

Trktrd said:
I also burn small and get more than enough heat. Actually I would be scared to pack my stove like I see alot of members do. Would be afraid of a super nova in my living room.

I admit I was a bit concerned the first time I really packed my stove. However using larger diameter pieces it really doesn't seem to go crazy. Now, if I were to pack it with small split and sticks I imagine it would be a very different story... I have had some very hot (and potentially exciting) fires from half loads of wood that should probably have been called kindling. I just have too much of the small stuff pile up sometimes and need to get it burned off - now that I'm not expecting to light a cold stove/need kindling again until next year... (well next spring that is)

Same size firebox here. When it gets below 35F the stove gets filled with big splits. The small stuff is used to fill the gaps. Even in mild weather our smallest load is 3, 3-4" softwood splits.

With my 1 cubic foot firebox I am also looking at the value of different size sticks and splits.

'll be watching this thread with much interest :)

Small splits and sticks burn hot and fast. Larger splits burn hot and long.

woodchip said:
I'll also be trying to work out how to delete multiple posts ;-)
It would have been funny if that had been a double post! I was loading my stove up more but it was a little warmer than I wanted when I went to bed and I still have coals in the morning for the first fire. It helps to have a good dense woold for the smaller pieces as they give off heat longer.

Oldspark, we did have to change a lot when we got the new stove but have not resorted to the sticks just yet. I do split most of the wood a bit smaller and we have to cut it shorter but really like the stove.

woodchip said:
With my 1 cubic foot firebox I am also looking at the value of different size sticks and splits.

'll be watching this thread with much interest :)

Hi Woodchip,

Could you put your stove model in your signature? (go to the Your Control Panel link above). It would help me to remember your fine and unusual stove.

Happy burning!

oldspark said:
It would have been funny if that had been a double post!

My double post just vanished!

But the brilliant news is that I have just found a pile of dry sticks near my back gate, guess what I'll be doing this morning.......

After I have put my stove in my signature :)

I switched over to smaller splits with the new stove...most of the time when we require larger splits I just sandwich some together. 90% of the time were just burning 3 splits in different stages of burning.

That technique might be an imposition to a young working man or women but for a retired guy it's a big help in keeping a steady stove top number.

oldspark said:
Now that I have the air movement problem fixed and the wind is not out of the south I can heat the house with sticks (2 inch round) and small splits

I love it when a plan comes together! (lighting cigar)

Now that's what I call a turn around! Kudos.

I also have found that my stove likes the small stuff well.

I tend to favor the smaller splits and rounds as well . . . it seems as though the stove -- even with the larger firebox -- likes the smaller stuff better since they ignite easier and I still get a decent burn time. I still split some larger splits and keep a few large rounds around for the overnight and overday burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.