Heating unused rooms, is it worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram Maxim

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2007
SE Michigan
I have 2 unoccupied bed rooms that in years past I shut the door in the Fall and don't open them back up until Spring time.

This is what my Grandparents always did so I followed suit.

They average about 52° during the Winter.

My friend said that I may be hurting my heating situation because he believes they radiate cold air and should be heated.

My Stove is in the largest room in the house with all the rooms adjacent to it. The house is warmed to about 72° on average during the Winter.

What do you guys think?

To heat or not to heat this is the question?

Interior walls typically have no insulation in them, though there are exceptions. Heat from the warm area of the house adjacent to the cold rooms will transfer through the walls into the colder areas (the greater the difference in temperature, the greater the rate of heat transfer), so you will lose some heat to them. Cold doesn't "radiate", heat is conducted through the walls from warmer to colder. I'd suggest you try it both ways for a while & see whether or not you can discern any difference. Rick

I have been wondering the same thing I have one room right off the room with the stove I leave shut but at night I can feel a draft from that room.

If you have baseboard forced hot water, then be careful not to freeze pipes.

I find that my house stays a bit warmer (heating with wood) if I close off rooms, but in below 20F weather, I worry about pipes.

I do have forced hot water pipes but I have my pump running 24/7 so the pipes wont freeze.

If the heat will migrate to these rooms, I say heat them. I think maintaining consant temps in the house is better for your home.

Jim

Depends on your climate to some degree. If you live in a damp winter climate like this area-Mould will become your enemy.

Check the window channels,corners of rooms that are not heated. Just keep an eye open for that nasty stuff.

I have natural gas forced air furnace, with about 60% basement and the rest crawl space. So no problems with pipes (cross fingers...) yet.

As far as mold goes its to cold for much of that stuff. Even with all the snow we get the humidity levels are crazy low here in the Winter.

jbrown56 said:
If the heat will migrate to these rooms, I say heat them. I think maintaining consant temps in the house is better for your home.

Jim

I opened them up........we will see!

Yeah cold doesn't radiate. If these "closed" rooms share adjacent walls w/ the heated space, then yes - you will lose some heat to those rooms. But not nearly as much as heating the air, having it circulate into those rooms, and then having those exterior walls lose the heat.

I say keep 'em closed.

I keep them closed. I've found that leaving the "cold rooms", as we call them in our house, open all the time is a huge detriment to my heating ability for the rest of the house.

Cheaper to close the doors. It takes btus to heat that air to 72 and less btus to heat it to 52. The btus all come from the stove.

Take this to an extreme and build a tent around your stove and see how much less wood you need to keep the tent at 72.

Highbeam said:
Cheaper to close the doors. It takes btus to heat that air to 72 and less btus to heat it to 52. The btus all come from the stove.

Take this to an extreme and build a tent around your stove and see how much less wood you need to keep the tent at 72.

This is also a good solution to misbehaving kids. 5 minutes in the hotbox and they will think about what they've done...

The way I look at it...if you close the door and the room gets cold, that says there is less heat going into that room than there would be if the door was open. Therefore, that 'saved' heat must still be in the main part of the house...which means you need to generate a little less heat in the main part to keep it warm.

I try and keep all unused spaces closed unless needed...spare bedrooms, bathroom, closets, etc. You aren't going to cut your heat bill in half or anything like that, but every little bit helps.

cozy heat said:
The way I look at it...if you close the door and the room gets cold, that says there is less heat going into that room .

God I love a little common sense. As far as baseboard hydronics freezing up, I had glycol added to mine and I recommend it for anyone who thinks THEY should.

sonnyinbc said:
Depends on your climate to some degree. If you live in a damp winter climate like this area-Mould will become your enemy.

Check the window channels,corners of rooms that are not heated. Just keep an eye open for that nasty stuff.
Buildings will deteriorate if not kept heated. There is generally no vapour barrier between rooms so condensation will form in partition walls/floors/ceilings where there is a significant temperature difference.

My parents built a huge house thinking that my siblings and I would all live there. When we all moved out, 80% of the house was left unheated and I watched the deterioration over the years. The place burned to the ground anyway so in the grand scheme of things, it didn't really matter.

If you can't afford to heat a big house you should sell and down-size.

Why heat unused ares, even if you have baseboard heat I doubt it would ever get cold enough to freeze them as there is heat still seeping into those rooms from the main living areas.

kenny chaos said:
LLigetfa said:
sonnyinbc said:

How about the millions who have a hard time heating a small home. Got a thoughtless suggestion for them?
They could buy full cords and resell them as face cords.

LLigetfa said:
kenny chaos said:
LLigetfa said:
sonnyinbc said:

How about the millions who have a hard time heating a small home. Got a thoughtless suggestion for them?
They could buy full cords and resell them as face cords.

I knew you'd have the answer.
Thanks-

kenny chaos said:
LLigetfa said:
sonnyinbc said:

Look before you type Kenny.!!!

Don`t put my name in front of someone elses quote.

Bet you are not man enough to apoligize??

I'd hate to see this thread head to the great ash heap in the sky :(

As for this ole boy, I keep 2 bedroom doors closed up near all winter unless we have company that's stayin' over.

sonnyinbc said:

It was NOT intentional and I am certainly man enough to apologize.
With all due respect, I am sorry.

kenny chaos said:
sonnyinbc said:

It was NOT intentional and I am certainly man enough to apologize.
With all due respect, I am sorry.

Thank you--accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.