Heatpump backup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ShaneMac

Sep 28, 2021
Ontario
What are peoples thoughts on electric strip backup vr propane as backup? The cost between them is only a few hundred dollars. I'm looking to replace my old heat pump with a new modern one. Trane Resolute/Gree Flexx ( 5k less then mitsubishi and fujitsu) and since I have to replace my old air handler as well I'm debating going with propane backup as it gives more options to run with generator ( use wood stove anyway so moot point ) fix up existing fireplace upstairs with failing clay chimney with propane insert for much less effort and then future gas cook top etc.

Feels like going backwards to get propane added to house but so many options it opens up.

What are peoples thoughts on electric strip backup vr propane as backup? The cost between them is only a few hundred dollars. I'm looking to replace my old heat pump with a new modern one. Trane Resolute/Gree Flexx ( 5k less then mitsubishi and fujitsu) and since I have to replace my old air handler as well I'm debating going with propane backup as it gives more options to run with generator ( use wood stove anyway so moot point ) fix up existing fireplace upstairs with failing clay chimney with propane insert for much less effort and then future gas cook top etc.

Feels like going backwards to get propane added to house but so many options it opens up.
Get the electric if your current panel has space. It’s a comfort thing. Make sure the thermostat is set up so they don’t come on above a set outside temp. Any time my set point was 2 or more degrees higher than inside temps they would kick on after 10 minutes. The real reason I think is when it goes into defrost it won’t blow cold air as it will kick on the strips for while it’s defrosting. With a wood stove it’s not like you will need the strips.

It's really dealers choice, if you want the propane for other appliances, and don't mind the cost of the propane furnace.

Myself, I have always been disappointed by propane cooktops.... and am now pleased with my induction.

Since you have the woodstove for backup heat (in case of outage) I guess the propane insert is for ambiance? If it costs the same as electric strip, running it COSTS you money (relative to the cheap Heat Pump BTUs) in shoulder season.

Reactions: EbS-P
Will you lease or buy your tank? What size? Will the gas company fill your privately owned tank? What is the service live of a tank? Do you have to re-certify after so many years?

Since you have the woodstove for backup heat (in case of outage) I guess the propane insert is for ambiance? If it costs the same as electric strip, running it COSTS you money (relative to the cheap Heat Pump BTUs) in shoulder season.
Correct, purely ambience.
Will you lease or buy your tank? What size? Will the gas company fill your privately owned tank? What is the service live of a tank? Do you have to re-certify after so many years?
Looking at leased, around $110 a year.

Correct, purely ambience.

Looking at leased, around $110 a year.
Strips all the way if you have wood stove. Do have strips now? Do you need to account for the cost of wiring for new ones? If so leasing for 10 years is probably about what running wire for strips would be.

Induction range is superior from an indoor air quality stand point.

Just some thoughts.

The low temp performance is getting so good on air source heat pumps that we depend only on our wood stove for backup.
That said, a heat strip is pretty cheap insurance, especially if you have the breaker box capacity for it.
Be prepared though, your electric meter will spin like a circular saw when the heat strip is on. ;)

The low temp performance is getting so good on air source heat pumps that we depend only on our wood stove for backup.
That said, a heat strip is pretty cheap insurance, especially if you have the breaker box capacity for it.
Be prepared though, your electric meter will spin like a circular saw when the heat strip is on. ;)
My 3 ton system uses 2.2 kw for heat pump and 10kw for the strips so when it defrosts that’s 12.2kw. For 5-8 minutes. It’s important that what ever system you choose has an ice sensor and not just a timed defrost. Now I just fire up the stove if it’s cold enough to ice the outside coil but it is fun to watch all the “steam” get blown out.

I second the resistance strips. That's what we have. They are simple and reliable. Less to go wrong and service and less fossil fuel consumption.

Heat strip all the way when you look at Ontarios electricity generation and prices. It is mostly nuclear and hydro with 7% coming from gas and .3% petroleum.
Screenshot_20230927_050002_Chrome.jpg

This is a chart from Hydroquebec comparing prices has Ontario in 4th place for the cheapest electricity.

Screenshot_20230927_052051_Drive.jpg

Aren't there carbon taxes on fossil fuels there now as well? I just saw someone on another forum post a recent gas bill that had $40 in carbon fees on like $140 bill. They mentioned the carbon taxes were increased in April this year across Canada.

Last edited:
Heat strip all the way when you look at Ontarios electricity generation and prices. It is mostly nuclear and hydro with 7% coming from gas and .3% petroleum.
View attachment 315886

This is a chart from Hydroquebec comparing prices has Ontario in 4th place for the cheapest electricity.

View attachment 315887

Aren't there carbon taxes on fossil fuels there now as well? I just saw someone on another forum post a recent gas bill that had $40 in carbon fees on like $140 bill. They mentioned the carbon taxes were increased in April this year across Canada.
That's interesting how they break nuclear fission out as "uranium". It makes me wonder how they will classify fusion should it come online.

That's interesting how they break nuclear fission out as "uranium". It makes me wonder how they will classify fusion should it come online.
Deuterium? Unobtainium?

I'd vote for 'unicorn farts'. 🦄

• Haha
Reactions: begreen and EbS-P