Heatsource 1 meltdown

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Concord Mancy

Oct 26, 2019
Humphrie11
I had a leak in a Heatsource 1 outdoor furnace which came with the house I bought last year. Fired it up and it was fine for a day. I go out to feed it last night and the control panel on the outside above the heat baffle looked like it was steaming. I figured another leak but no, much worse. It caught on fire suddenly. I quickly but it out but it is clear. This furnace is done. It also blew out my electric so the regular propane furnace is not working. Tripped the panel and cannot be reset so waiting for repairs this Monday. Wondering how this happened? What was the stuff leaking that was flammable by the controls? Suggestions on a more fool proof outdoor wood furnace. I am not an expert and maybe the fool so fool proof is helpful.

My guess is creosote is what caught on fire.
My advice is to take some good clear pictures of what you have in place.Then let others assess and give you advice.
My guess is that there is probably substandard underground piping,and a bit of a rats nest of plumbing.
Basing it on the asumtion that anyone that buys and installs a outdoor water heater years ago probably did so on the advice of the salesman.
Now is your chance to build a great system that will work trouble free.If you plan on keeping the house for a number of years you may even get to see the system pay for its self.
When i thought i knew what i was going to build,Then i found this site and it saved me the expense of building my system then building it right the second time with a real boiler.

Post some pics of the furnace and indoor plumbing. Then we'll have a bit more to work off of.