Heavy Liner Installation. Is it possible in my case? Having doubts.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Hi. I need to install 23 feet of SS liner trough the interior 12" terracotta chimney to the basement. The roof is easy to walk on, it's a ranch. It's heavy-duty Super Flex .016 liner I was lucky to get from Craiglist. There is an offset in chimney about halfway through, which seems like 45 degrees. Liner is super heavy and stiff. Plus, I want to put 1/2 super wrap Olimpia insulation, which is not going to help move it through. I'll post a sketch of the setup below, sorry for the quality in advance lol.
image.jpg
Is it possible? Any tips and tricks?

Do you have any flexible children that measure 12" in diameter or less and are acceptably good climbers? ;)

Failing that, try a pulling cone.

View attachment 256284
Yeah, gonna get pulling cone for sure. I just worry about liner being stiff .

Yeah, we pulled a 18'-6" HomeSaver HD Roundflex liner up with a cone, and metal mesh over the insulation to protect it. I remember that when I bought the liner, literature said it could actually turn a tighter corner that lighter liners could. I forget what the turn radius was..that sounds like a tight turn you would have to make.
Never fear, bholler and webby, the experts, will be here soon. ==c

I have never worked with super flex but yes most heavy wall is easier to get through offsets than light wall. In your case it looks like I would drop it with a cone and rope on the bottom.

I have never worked with super flex but yes most heavy wall is easier to get through offsets than light wall. In your case it looks like I would drop it with a cone and rope on the bottom.
Yeah, I guess it would be easier to pull it down, with gravity assisting, but getting it up there in the first place..:oops: You use a bucket lift, or what?
It was just my nephew and I pulling my liner up. There was a gentle turn before it got up to the clay, not as tight as Dmitry is talking, but we did have to work it around that bend. 12" square clay liner.

Might not be too bad to get a few guys and feed it up from the ground as you pull it down, onto the low, flat ranch roof..

Got 2 close friends ready to help and laugh at me at the same time . It’s one story ranch , shouldn’t be too bad to get on. More concerned about flexibility. On other hand this kind of liner would allow to use more force when getting it down without damaging it .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 98
Speaking of the liner. I think it’s in a good shape , no creosote inside , I guess was used for oil or something else . But last part has area that rotted trough . Rest of it is OK .I got like 5 feet extra , so no worries there . But wondering what can cause this . The liner seems indestructible .

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Yeah, I guess it would be easier to pull it down, with gravity assisting, but getting it up there in the first place..:oops: You use a bucket lift, or what?
It was just my nephew and I pulling my liner up. There was a gentle turn before it got up to the clay, not as tight as Dmitry is talking, but we did have to work it around that bend. 12" square clay liner.
No I carry it up the ladder.

Speaking of the liner. I think it’s in a good shape , no creosote inside , I guess was used for oil or something else . But last part has area that rotted trough . Rest of it is OK .I got like 5 feet extra , so no worries there . But wondering what can cause this . The liner seems indestructible .View attachment 256304View attachment 256305View attachment 256306View attachment 256307View attachment 256308View attachment 256309
Corrosion it is probably 304 used for coal oil or gas. I wouldn't use that liner. Is that the top or the bottom?

No I carry it up the ladder.
What a stud you are! ==c As I recall, the Roundflex was like 8# per foot of liner. _g
Corrosion it is probably 304 used for coal oil or gas. I wouldn't use that liner
In that case, if he's hooking it to an easy-breathing stove, maybe he could step down to a 5.5" or 5" liner and it would be easier to slip it past the bend...? Of course, it won't draft as well as 6" in shoulder season.
My SIL's PE T5 sucks like a Hoover on only 15' of chimney..

What a stud you are! ==c As I recall, the Roundflex was like 8# per foot of liner. _g
In that case, if he's hooking it to an easy-breathing stove, maybe he could step down to a 5.5" or 5" liner and it would be easier to slip it past the bend...? Of course, it won't draft as well as 6" in shoulder season.
My SIL's PE T5 sucks like a Hoover on only 15' of chimney..
It's a 12x12 liner 6" will drop in easily. No reason to downsize at all

Corrosion it is probably 304 used for coal oil or gas. I wouldn't use that liner. Is that the top or the bottom?
It says 316 L on it and shiny, it’s on a top, close to end

It says 316 L on it and shiny, it’s on a top, close to end
Then it almost had to be coal. Do you know what was run through it and for how long? Installing something with that much corrosion in spots would make me really nervous

Got 2 close friends ready to help and laugh at me at the same time . It’s one story ranch , shouldn’t be too bad to get on. More concerned about flexibility. On other hand this kind of liner would allow to use more force when getting it down without damaging it
Then it almost had to be coal. Do you know what was run through it and for how long? Installing something with that much corrosion in spots would make

Then it almost had to be coal. Do you know what was run through it and for how long? Installing something with that much corrosion in spots would make me really nervous
It just one spot close to the top, otherwise I wouldn't consider this liner, no other corrosion spots outside or inside as far as I can see.

It just one spot close to the top, otherwise I wouldn't consider this liner, no other corrosion spots outside or inside as far as I can see.
Ok

By the way , why they made this off set in a first place? Just to make my life miserable? lol
It isn't a big deal really

What is the purpose of those offsets? , my other chimney next to it has it too.
Usually to get around an obstruction. Or offset the flues to get them close together minimizing the size of the chimney