Hello all, wood stove newb here needs a price check...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think he means if you have a 2k sqft house you want a firebox of “x” size.

OP, no, there is no good guild line like that because it depends on your heat loss of the house , efficiency of your stove, and the quality/dryness of your wood.

that is why I said bigger isn’t usually a problem. Now if you go up to an 8” pipe then you could over size the stove with some of those monsters out there.
Since you are just starting your wood pile you won’t have good wood. Buy a moisture meter and test the wood.

Im starting to realize it’s a balancing act with the stove, just like everything else in life lol.

My timing for this sucks so I’ll be laying a bit of a premium for a cord or two of wood for this winter, I’ll dry what I have over this coming summer.
It’s going to cost but at least I have it to spend.

Im starting to realize it’s a balancing act with the stove, just like everything else in life lol.

My timing for this sucks so I’ll be laying a bit of a premium for a cord or two of wood for this winter, I’ll dry what I have over this coming summer.
It’s going to cost but at least I have it to spend.
If your short on wood.. i wouldn't wait .. id also get a mm and check the wood your getting. Do you know how to check wood for a moisture reading..

No sir I do not.
Take a split and open it up.. either by hand or on a splitter.. on the freshly open side put your mm in the wood with the grain and in the middle.. do not insert mm on the endgrain or the outside of the split. If you do that it will read drier than it really is

Last edited by a moderator: