1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Hello, New To This Forum

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Ray Porter, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Ray Porter

Ray Porter New Member

Hello! Where on here would you recommend we go for beginner installation questions? We are doing it ourselves and need advice on specs (knowing it also depends upon our insurance carrier's specs).
    Thanks in advance for the help!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    This would be the spot. Tell us more. Got a stove picked out? House config? Casual burning or 24/7?

And welcome to the forum.
  3. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Before you get too far into it, you might check with the insurance company first. There are insurance companies that insist on documented professional installation...not talking about just the final inspection form here, but they want to see the receipt from the installer as well. Rick

And yes, by all means, welcome to the forums!
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    In addition, your stove manual should give you some specs for what is required of your particular stove. There is no one fits all when it comes to installations.
  5. My Oslo heats my home

My Oslo heats my home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    You are in the right place, welcome to the forum. Details, as many as you can give, would be a big help. It's soon to be a busy time of the year, everyones getting ready for the upcoming season.
  6. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Ask away . . . and welcome.
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Welcome to the forums! Lots of good information here, and lots of great folks with knowledge in all aspects of the woodburning lifestyle.
  8. Ray Porter

Ray Porter New Member

It is a mid-80's ERIK freestanding (not insert) by Nordic. Understand they've gone out of business, so we're trying to find an owner's manual.
    Thanks for the help in advance!
  9. Ray Porter

Ray Porter New Member

Yes, we are in dialogue with our insurance company. They are fine as long as we meet mfg specs.
  10. Ray Porter

Ray Porter New Member

Thanks! We've heated with wood before, but this is a new house and found the burner in great condition for $200 on CL. Just trying to decide if we want to use bricks, if vinyl casing windows are considered combustible, etc.
  11. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Why am I thinking that this is a wood/coal combo stove? I think it might be.
  12. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
  13. RED FRONTIER

RED FRONTIER Member

Loc:
    Norwich CT
    Welcome. If you not going to use coal. I hope you have your wood already. Most types require a year split and stacked. Oak 2 plus years 3 better.
  14. Ray Porter

Ray Porter New Member

Yes that's the one!
  15. Ray Porter

Ray Porter New Member

Yes we do.
  16. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Hmmmm...that is gonna be a hungry beast. I have had no luck in coming up with a manual. Without a manual you will need to revert back to the 3ft clearance to combustibles rule.
    PapaDave likes this.
  17. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    +1

I know the insurance game / rules are changing here.
    Jags can the OP possibly cut that clearance back using heat shielding?
  18. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    There are some NFPA rules on that, but it is often the task of the company (manual) to state what the new acceptable numbers are. I am not an NFPA wonk, so I can't comment on the specifics.
  19. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    It would be to the OP's advantage (big time) to dig up a mfr's manual for this appliance that specifies clearances to combustibles. Otherwise, NFPA 211 is the default, and that will seriously complicate the installation.
    PapaDave likes this.
  20. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
  21. Ray Porter

Ray Porter New Member

wall3.jpg wall.jpg
    This is the location. We want to put the smoke pipe through the wall above the window on right side, as there isn't much room on the outside of the house. The bar you see is where the burner will sit. Our specs from the insurance company say the 3 feet rule, plus the pipe needs an 18" from combustibles...will a through the wall kit take care of that, or will we need to modify the wall and ceiling around the pipe?
  22. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That is not a good location for a number of reasons. Single wall pipe will require 18" clearance to walls and ceiling. Double wall will require 9" clear to the ceiling. There will be a header above the window and cripples. Finding a right location there will be hard. Also, curtains will have to go or be over 36" away from the stove. If this is the only location the stove will need to be deep into the room. A close clearance stove would be safer here. Can you go straight up with the pipe instead of out and up?
  23. Ray Porter

Ray Porter New Member

Yeah, we figured as much. We've decided to put off until next Spring, hire a contractor, take out the double window to the left, put the single window on the right in it's place. That will leave the entire right wall to play with, and give us more room on the left as well. Really wanted to have a fire this winter, but just not in the cards this year.
  24. Ray Porter

Ray Porter New Member

Thanks everyone for your help with this!
  25. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Sounds good if there is no option to go straight up.