Hello pellet people

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Park

Aug 23, 2015
alberta
New to the board but I've had my st Croix Prescott for 8 years, im wondering has anyone tried to change the heat exchanger motor to a higher rpm motor for more air flow/heat?

If a stove has been properly designed and tested the fan can extract all the heat it can without lowering the exhaust to low as to start having problems with creosote and water forming in exhaust system. Better stoves monitor the exhaust temp and change the room fan speed to keep the exhaust in range that wont waste heat.

If a stove has been properly designed and tested the fan can extract all the heat it can without lowering the exhaust to low as to start having problems with creosote and water forming in exhaust system. Better stoves monitor the exhaust temp and change the room fan speed to keep the exhaust in range that wont waste heat.
X2
I have put in stronger exhaust blowers which run at the same 3,000 RPM but convection blowers I always use the OEM or equivalent for the same reason.

Last edited:
Proper is could be in todays world other than RR, reason is last winter I externally added an extra 60 cfm air flow but the heat exchanger temp did not drop all I got was more hot air, didn't effect the exhaust at all, no sign of moisture or creosote.

And not all stoves are created equal. That fan motor combination does not lend itself very well to upgrade like a larger single fan motor units found on a lot of stoves.
I don't know the temp range you were running at. Some stoves don't do well running full out and most are not made to run that way for long.
Auburn of that line is a bit larger and a great burner of corn but weak on pellets.

St Croix is a animal of its own, my auger is turned down to burn.6 lbs per hr on 1 for spring and fall use on wood pellets,

That's excellent low end burn. Very few stoves go below a pound an hour. In fact I don't know of any that go below a pound. That's an input of only 4800 btus if your pellets are 8k/lb
What version of Prescott? They have had two versions.

Its the exl, I turned the auger down myself so that's not a factory setting, it makes it more useable in the spring and fall when you just need a little heat, factory it burned 1.2 lbs per hour and it was to hot, I think you can turn down the auger on all of them, most of the boards are close to the same.

Most use the thermostat and auto ignition for fall and spring. Never heard or seen the trim pot being that adjustable.

My Prescott will hookup to a thermostat but I don't use one, I burnt out 3 ignitors at $180 a pop and im not buying another one so I just turned down the auger, its easy.

Reactions: Edward Hughes
I have only needed to replace one stoves igniter of four stoves and that's in the Hestia in the shop and like you just manually light it. Its only $25 bucks. The Ecoteck will probably be the one to go next as it gets the most cycles in a season.

I soak pellets in charcoal bbq starter, works fine, way cheaper to.

Status
Not open for further replies.