Help — New stovepipe and liner not correctly installed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PowderSki511

Dec 21, 2020
Vermont
FDEEA212-DA36-4EB7-BD4E-39B926886FCE.jpegD5699152-59CB-4B21-8115-CCA82C7BDA40.jpeg
I just got a professional install of a double-wall stove pipe and a liner for an exterior chimney. The install seemed to be done well, but once they left I did some investigating. Can anyone tell me if the following is an cause for concern? To me, it seems like a huge safety issue, with smoke likely coming back into the house and not up the flue.

Issue 1: There was previously 8” pipe going into a thimble. They kept the thimble and out the 6” double wall pipe in it. Okay, makes sense. However, there is a pretty large gap, which sends in air from the flue. They put a flimsy trim plate to cover the gap but it appears to be for looks only, as it just sits on the pipe and isn’t airtight.

Issue 2: Of much greater concern if the connection of the stovepipe into the T. There appear to be 3 screws holding the two ends together but there are gaps all around the connection (see red areas in photo). I put a flashlight in there and light goes right out that crack and into the thimble — which, as stated above in issue #1 — would then send that smoke right back into the house.

I’ve contacted the company but would love any insight from this group.

Thanks!!