Help about Vermont Casting Defiant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

halmv

Feb 24, 2010
Italy
Hi, i write from Italy to looking for infos about this model of stove.

Here it's impossible to have information because this stove is not used but i like to buy the Defiant Catalytic.

Anyone can help me to know:

1- Really this stove work for 12 hours ? I'm not at home during the day so i need a stove that work at minumum for 11 hours.
2- My chimeny is 6" large nf 5 mt high , is it enough ?
3- What the price in USA of this stove ?

thank you very much.

Victor

halmv said:
Hi, i write from Italy to looking for infos about this model of stove.

Here it's impossible to have information because this stove is not used but i like to buy the Defiant Catalytic.

Anyone can help me to know:

1- Really this stove work for 12 hours ? I'm not at home during the day so i need a stove that work at minumum for 11 hours.
2- My chimeny is 6" large nf 5 mt high , is it enough ?
3- What the price in USA of this stove ?

thank you very much.

Victor

Victor, welcome to hearth.com!

I burned a Vermont Castings Defiant Catalytic #1945 stove for 2 winters. It is a big stove. It will provide you with good heat but most likely will not be putting out much heat after 10 or 12 hours. HOWEVER, I think it will do the job you are asking it to do and I am certain you will have hot coals to restart a fire 12 hours after a full load of hardwood.

It is a catalytic stove, and takes a bit of time to learn to operate, but does a great job of heating.

Look here for more information on this stove.... http://literature.mhsc.com/vermont_castings/manuals/30001693_Defiant.pdf

It appears your chimney height would be at the bottom of the chart found in the above referenced manual on page 5. My guess is that you would be fine, depending on your altitude, though you may need to add some height if necessary.

There are other stoves available here in the U.S. but I do not know what you have there in Italy.

http://rockymountainstove.com/vermont/castings/defiant.aspx <------ here is a starting price of $2,449 U.S.

Thanks you Master to answer.

I'm reading your links ...

only nother question:

I don't understand what's Catalytic and Non-Catalytic system, are you able to explain and beacause it's not simple to use ?

arrivederci :)

My advice, from much reading in the past, is DO NOT purchase the non-catalytic stove. There have been many bad reports about the operation of these stoves.

The catalytic, #1945, was the stove I had. It was a good wood burning stove. It is not "difficult" to operate, there are just a few steps necessary. There is a "catalytic combuster" that "reburns" the smoke in the stove. You build a fire, you let the fire get very hot, then you move a handle on the stove which forces the smoke to go through the catalytic combuster. It is not difficult, just an added step to properly operate the stove.

When the #1945 is in operation you will not often see flame through the window glass of the doors, you will see an orange glowing catalytic combuster instead. When the stove operates in "catalytic" mode you will see NO SMOKE coming out the chimney. I liked the stove, it was a good heating unit.

Another thing, it is a "top loader" which is real nice. You lift the lid, and place the firewood in from the top of the stove. To load the stove though, you must switch "off" the catalytic lever first, then load. Then you allow the stove to reach the temperatures stated in the manual, then you switch "on" the catalytic lever, which forces the wood smoke through the catalytic combuster, burning most/all woodsmoke byproducts and thereby giving a clean burn.

Thanks again ansehnlich1,
your infos and your link are very useful for me.

So, in the morning , when i'm going out home, i don't have to use catalytic system , correct ?
Is it dangerous open the catalytic system when the temperature of fire is not very very hot?

Reading page 19 and 20 of the manual will be helpful for you :)

I see your morning routine would be something like this....

Empty ashes from the overnight burn.

Load the stove full with wood.

Bring the stove to 230 degrees C. Then you close the damper which puts the stove in "catalytic mode". (what this does is instead of the combustion air/smoke going straight through to the chimney it now passes through the catalytic combuster first) After you learn how the stove works, you will be able to leave home at this point and it will burn in catalytic mode all day long.

I wish to be clear. The stove can operate either with the fire burning straight through and into the chimney (bypassing the catalytic combuster) OR, for long, clean burns, you close the damper, and that forces the combustion air through the catalytic combuster, burning the smoke completely.

You will be setting the stove to burn in catalytic mode almost all the time. You will learn it's use. In catalytic mode the wood does not look like it is burning, most often there is no flame, what is burning is the smoke and this can be seen in the stove as the orange glow from the catalytic combuster, at the top/rear of the firebox. In fact it is a very nice stove to operate.

Thanks!!!!!

Another question:

Really this stove is so strong? How many sq. mt ( or sq. ft) you are able to warm ?
I live in a zon eof italy where ususlly have 0 C°

And what about consumption of wood ?

(I think I must send a bottle of wine from Italy for your help. :) )

Did you say Wine? I'm in!

I have that same stove and max I get about 8hr burns times. Yes she pumps out a lot of heat if your wood is dry. Make sure you clean the catalytic converter and inspect your chimney. I have an 8 inch pipe so I dont know how it will do with a 6 inch pipe. You should be able to heat over 2000 sqft depending on your layout and your insulation.

Thank MAx.
but are you sure that "max I get about 8h" ?
for me it's problem, i need minimum 10h / 11 h so when i come home i have only tu put wood and start again.

I'm a little rusty on my Italian hardwoods, actually I dont know anything about Italian hardwoods, but if you have some real dense stuff like oak or locust and you pack the box full you might see 10hrs. I dont like to pack mine full so I cant say for sure. Is this a new stove or are you considering it? There are some other stoves out there that seem to burn forever like the Jotul Oslo and a few others. Heres a thread I started that was asking the same question. I was surprised to see how long some of these stoves can burn and how little wood they burnas well. Get a glass of wine, put your feet up, and enjoy what these folks are saying...https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/52887/

MAX i try to translate and the i'll answred to you :)

for today I thank you and ansehnlich1 for help me.

about my search I hear only Defiant for long burn, I don't know Jotul ...if someone knows stoves with long duration, i'm interested.

In Italy there are Stube (1 load of wood for day!!) but the price are impossibile for me, and, overall, for this kind of stoves you must build before the stove and then around build the house!!! :)

good nigt,but tomorrow i'm here gain!! :)

halmv,

I will say the #1945 stove will do what you want. Any stove you buy should have a firebox 3.0 cubic feet or larger.

The Oslo does NOT have a 3.0 cubic foot firebox. You cannot put as much wood in the JOTUL OSLO as you can the DEFIANT!

I would load my Defiant #1945 at 5:30 in the morning and have no trouble reloading at 4:30 in the evening.

Even my Jotul Oslo, with a much smaller firebox, I load at 5:30 in the morning and have plenty of hot coals to start the evening fire at 4:30 p.m.

Check out this site.... the "large area heaters" are most all 3.0 cubic feet, and that is what you are seeking, a stove that is at least 3.0 cubic feet to heat your home....also notice the square footage numbers.

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/fswood.htm

good morning boys.

I red your links and I think that Hearthstone Equinox is the perfect stove (for my needs), but unfortuntely is not vailable in Europe!. :(

Max , in my zone I use beech , durmast and hornbean , do you know these kind of woods, do think are good woods ?

Thank Ansehnlich1 , i red your link but may i have your opinion about this considerations http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/hocats.htm ? (sorry to bother you but this theme is very important for me beacuse in Italy there are not vendors of Vermont and, if I'll have a problem with stove , will be very difficult to resolve and/or to find parts to change)

Hi Battenkiller , you are welcome :)

Ah yes, I would say that it would be my choice to purchase a wood stove from a local dealer who has access to parts, can answer questions, and help with any problems that may come up.

Burning wood is a lifestyle, if you become like me, you will devote a good amount of time to getting wood, cutting wood, splitting wood, stacking wood, burning wood, and getting rid of the wood ash.

Now, there is GREAT DEBATE found right here on this website, and elsewhere, between the Catalytic and Non-Catalytic wood stove technology. I have used both, and I am comfortable using both. I will say that the Catalytic type stove often gives a longer burn time, but not always. I will also say that YES, the catalytic combustor on these type stoves does need replaced and it is also something that needs cleaned from time to time.

All wood stoves take care and maintenence though, as do chimneys.

Also, I do not know what durmast is, but that BEECH and HORNBEAM are some of the best firewoods found anywhere!

This site has so much information on wood burning, do your homework and you will get the best stove for your application. Come here with the names/brands of your local wood stoves, and those stoves available to you in Italy and there may be someone who can advise you further.

Check out this ratings section too, where people rate their stoves...

https://www.hearth.com/ratings/search.php

ansehnlich1 said:
halmv,

I will say the #1945 stove will do what you want. Any stove you buy should have a firebox 3.0 cubic feet or larger.

The Oslo does NOT have a 3.0 cubic foot firebox. You cannot put as much wood in the JOTUL OSLO as you can the DEFIANT!

I would load my Defiant #1945 at 5:30 in the morning and have no trouble reloading at 4:30 in the evening.

Even my Jotul Oslo, with a much smaller firebox, I load at 5:30 in the morning and have plenty of hot coals to start the evening fire at 4:30 p.m.

Check out this site.... the "large area heaters" are most all 3.0 cubic feet, and that is what you are seeking, a stove that is at least 3.0 cubic feet to heat your home....also notice the square footage numbers.

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/fswood.htm
Correct. The larger Jotul Firelight F600 has a firebox about the same size as the Defiant.

grommal said:
Correct. The larger Jotul Firelight F600 has a firebox about the same size as the Defiant.

Yes, and the Jotul is designed for a 6" flue. I don't feel that the Defiant will work well with 6" pipe, particularly with your short chimney. It really is designed for an 8" flue.

Good morning to everybody

I've found this offer in an online site from UK

* Vermont castings defiant £ 1682,00
* Oval to round flue adaptor £ 40,00
* Expedition to my home in Italy £ 120,00

Total amount 2.814,61 US $

Anyone can suggest me if there are other optional to order ? For example, Outside Air Adapter is an important thing ?

ciao. :)

The outside air kit would be needed if your home is built very insulated and you have little to no air available for combustion inside your home.

Also sometimes a clothing dryer, or exhaust fan from an oven, or a natural gas furnace, when running these items can sometimes affect the draft of the wood stove.

We would very much like to see pictures of your plans, your home, chimney, "wine cellar" :) etc.

Will this stove be in a basement or on the main living floor of your home?

How many levels is your home?

What does your hearth/chimney look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.