Help adding hydraulic fluid to log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JustJan

Apr 28, 2018
WV
I have an older North Star M11900G log splitter and can't figure out how to check the hydraulic fluid level or add the fluid. When I remove the nut and washer (left in the photo), all I see is this rubber plug that fits very tight (right image). How do you remove that plug? Any ideas? I'm at a complete loss on how to figure this out. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Help adding hydraulic fluid to log splitter
    logsplitter.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 176
Just an old rubber expansion type pipe plug. Put the washer and nut back on loosely, might need to grab a pair of pliers and then just pull the plug out.

This is what you have, when the nut is tightened it expands the rubber creating a seal.

Help adding hydraulic fluid to log splitter