Help! At the cabin right now trying to install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed correctly, the shortest distance from the DVL connector (in this case diagonal distance) to the nearest combustible (ceiling or adjacent exposed joists) needs to be 9" or more.

My stovepipe adapter is close to 18" diagonal from exposed joists / ceiling. If I recall, this is what I would have required according to Selkirk, had I used single wall pipe. With double wall this clearance is now serious overkill - but with the total sections of pipe I have, I played with the install until it gave me just under 5' extended above above the roof deck - so I did not have to install bracing, I still get a good draft, it's easy to get a brush down from the top, and I clear the nearest peak by just over 2'. That setup just happened to leave me with @ 9 or 10" of chimney extending down below the support box, which put the stove pipe adapter almost 18" diagonal from ceiling or exposed joists. I don't mind the look of the shiny chimney dropping into the room a bit - might paint it black one day - still undecided. But I have tons of room from adapter / connector pipe to anything wood. Which is a nice feeling when the stove is cranking. I have the ability to do this with this particular support box.

I like to place the stove a couple inches further out than required for minimum clearances. Besides the added peace of mind it gives you a little wiggle room for getting the connector pipe just perfect.

+1. As the king of do-overs, I'm finally getting it through my thick skull that "extra peace of mind" and "wiggle room" should be essential parts of any plan.

BTW - I added the roof bracing anyway this year after seeing another chimney get whacked by the weather. Not really a do-over, but....

Don't skimp on clearances, time, effort, etc.

With the gusts we've had in the past 24 hrs. I'm very glad to have a roof brace on the chimney pipe.

With the gusts we've had in the past 24 hrs. I'm very glad to have a roof brace on the chimney pipe.

I hear ya..............Had a tornado 5 miles from my house this morning

Yeah a few people here suggested this a while back, but it took the visual of a bunch of stainless sections kinda mangled up and on the ground, pieces hanging off the roof, at the neighbor's place, to get me off my butt and get it done.

I hear ya..............Had a tornado 5 miles from my house this morning
WTH? This ain't Kansas Toto! I'm glad you are ok. Are you down near Frederickson?

It is now....haha

The sounds from it were very weird

I am up on the hill in Orting.............about 5 miles away direct shot......My next door neighbor works at the boeing plant where it hit.............but she is off on Mondays..Heh
the wind sound and rain from it was very strange...........power went out and had thunder bumpers with it

I'm surprised you have power. Maybe better to take this convo to the PNW weather thread in the Inglenook.

At cabin... Installed chimney pipe and flashing. . Wasn't easy at all.

I have the dvl duratech support box and I believe they forgot to give me a part - adapter to connect black pipe to support box? I now have only three parts - chimney adapter to connect to the stove, telescoping dvl, and a 24" section of dvl...

I can't connect the black pipe to the support box without that adapter right?

Darn it.

It came with 6 screws... It seems pretty straightforward but I can't see where it explain how to connect it on the manual...

It came with 6 screws... It seems pretty straightforward but I can't see where it explain how to connect it on the manual...
The SS adapter has one larger diameter side to it. The small side will point down, slip the trim piece over the adapter and Insert into the box. Then screw the trim onto the bottom of the ceiling box. The trim piece is pre-punched, I think it only has 4 holes.

Thanks webby!

Indeed it is preholes with 4 holes. So I just stick it in??? interesting. Then the DVL pipe snaps to it and then I put screws at the connection to hold it together?

Help again. . At the cabin.

Once I connect that adapter on the ceiling support box - the 24" pipe slides into it but then if I can't connect them with screws unless I punch the inside wall of the pipe.... Unless this adapter needs another adapter. Please help. If someone can pm me his number I'll be happy to call.. I'm really at a problem here

Status
Not open for further replies.