Help Choosing a Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamori

Oct 28, 2008
Wisconsin
Hey, wondering if anyone can give me some advise on purchasing a wood stove for my house. My house is approximately 2,400 sq feet and is a traditional tri-level home built in the Mid 90's. I am going to have the burner installed on the bottom floor. Just wondering if there is a brand you would recommend that does not cost more than $1,500? I have heard good things about "Harmon Stoves" as you can load from the top on them. Let me know your thoughts. Regards.

For what you want to spend, Id look at a Englander 30. Most of the other good stuff will put you over $2000.

Thanks for the info. Any difference between the Englander 30 and the Summer Heat 50? They seem to be both on the englander website. Just wondering what the difference is. Also, do you know how much a Harmon stove would go for?

Nope, sorry I dont have a clue on the price of a harmon

Welcome kamori. Harman makes good stoves, but top-loading is sometimes a less important feature than long burning. To get a stove for $1500 or less, the options are smaller. Have you budgeted for the flue as well?

In order to better understand your needs, it would be good to know how large a room is this stove going to be installed in? Is the intent to just heat the basement? If not, how is the heat getting upstairs?

I guess $1,500 is what I figured it would be, but if spending a few more bucks makes that big of a difference, then I may consider it. The room that the burner is going to be in is approx 20x16 and is finished. It will face the stairs going up to the next level. Then there are two more sets of steps going to the top level (each level there are 6 steps). I know a wood burner will work great because in past winters the two lower rooms are always cold, but when we put an electric space heater on the lowest level, it really heats up the two lower levels nicely. Yes, I do know how much a flu system will cost to install. The first step for me is to get the right stove for my situation. I am sure anything will be better than nothing, but i wouldn't mind getting the right fit on the first try. Thanks again.

Spending more might get you more features or style, but not necessarily more heat. That's really up to you. I would go for a 3 cu ft stove based on what you have described, your climate, and the house size. This is going to give you the longest burn times. On the lower priced end (not meaning lower quality) are Englander, Napoleon, Drolet, Buck and some others. These will be straight forward, simple stoves that offer good value. If you want more features in a Harman then look at the Harman TL300 for a top loader.

Does anyone have an opinion on which stove may be better between the Drolet HT-2000 and the Englander 30? They seem similar, but just wondering what differences if any they may have. Thank you.

With very little knowledge of the Drolet, the opinion of the 30 seems to be VERY high. I have heard nary a complaint from the many users on this here forum. Other than maybe "this sucker really throws some heat" or "wow". Those are the only complaints I have heard. ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.