Help! Cleaned stove and found part.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
Hello,

Cleaned a Jotul 550C Rockland today with a sooteater. As I was putting the left hand brick (of the two up top) back, I felt this piece on a north/south axis. Swear it wasn't attached to anything. Felt all around above the right-side brick and couldn't feel anything.

What have I done? I won't fire the thing up until there's a solution.
Thanks in advance,
Greg

Attachments

• IMG_5524.JPG
    IMG_5524.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_5525.JPG
    IMG_5525.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 174
Reactions: Soundchasm
Part 91- holds the pipe adapter in place. Probably dislodged it while cleaning. Look for the cotter pin.image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Soundchasm and pen
Ah, I believe I see it on the expanded parts view. It must come from the draw-down adapter. I bet there's a 100% chance the pin got sucked up by the shop vac.

I typed out my earlier response and forgot to hit carriage return! It is part 91 on that view. I've just checked that the liner is SCREWED to the draw down adapter. And there's another crossmember going across a few inches above that to boot.

I can't get my surround off. The installer made a custom metal piece for our fireplace, and I believe it has bowed and catching the surround and I can't pull it off. I'll work on that now.

I found the two holes that pin slides through. For the life of me I can't see that it does any work. I'm also real sure it wasn't there when I started, either. The one crossmember was there and I didn't do any violence with the sooteater. I finessed it in and out.

I guess the good news is it didn't come from somewhere else in the liner. I re-threaded and it just hangs there.

Was it supposed to hold something in place when the liner was originally attached? I'll go through the creosote to look for the cotter pin (or maybe go buy one).

Thanks.

Reactions: blazincajun
I typed out my earlier response and forgot to hit carriage return! It is part 91 on that view. I've just checked that the liner is SCREWED to the draw down adapter. And there's another crossmember going across a few inches above that to boot.

I can't get my surround off. The installer made a custom metal piece for our fireplace, and I believe it has bowed and catching the surround and I can't pull it off. I'll work on that now.

I found the two holes that pin slides through. For the life of me I can't see that it does any work. I'm also real sure it wasn't there when I started, either. The one crossmember was there and I didn't do any violence with the sooteater. I finessed it in and out.

I guess the good news is it didn't come from somewhere else in the liner. I re-threaded and it just hangs there.

Was it supposed to hold something in place when the liner was originally attached? I'll go through the creosote to look for the cotter pin (or maybe go buy one).

Thanks.
It's retains the liner so it does not dislodge. Unlikely to happen but good for safety

Sounds like the lock down bar was either never installed or it was loose because the cotter pin became dislodged or factory error. Good you are learning about yor equipment.

That retainer has to be put in by the installer after the draw down is fully seated. It can be a pain so maybe they just didn't want to bother.

The draw down must be pulled down far enough into the stove flue collar so that the pin can be pushed through the holes. Once in place that pin prevents the liner from being pushed back out.

It was probably knocked out by a previous cleaning. I'm sure these sweeps get familiar with a bunch of stoves, but unless that's a standard piece, how would you know it wasn't there?

Thanks to all you guys. I still need to find/buy a cotter pin, but I'll be able to get that tomorrow and still burn afterwards since the temps are dropping again.

Reactions: blazincajun
Status
Not open for further replies.