Help Convert Freestanding Fireplace to Woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

avc8130

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 6, 2010
God's Gift to Gassification
I recently bought a new house. This house has a freestanding fireplace in the den. The wife and I have decided we like burning wood on the weekends for both the warmth and the atmosphere. The problem is this fireplace does a decent job with the later and a TERRIBLE job with the former.

With Uncle Obama being so kind as to offer us 20% back, we are thinking of upgrading to a wood stove.

I have attached pictures of our floorplan and of our current fireplace.

I don't expect to heat my whole house when this thing is running. My SPRAWLING ranch is just too sprawling for that. However, if we could warm the den/kitchen/living room/dining room that would be nice. The oil heat in the house is very well zoned so we can supplement as necessary.

So let's get to the question: What stove is best for my needs?
My buddies are telling me to go Vermont Castings. The Defiant looks nice. I would like a stove with some elegance and really add to the room rather than just be there. From my limited research it appears that a non-cat might be better for my less than constant use.

Advice/tips/tricks are greatly appreciated.

ac

Attachments

• House Layout.jpg
    House Layout.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 473
  • DSC_0038.jpg
    DSC_0038.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 819
Once upon a time, Vermont Castings stoves were among the very best made. A bankruptcy or two or three later, quality control issues, and questions about warranties and VC is not what it used to be. The brand name remains, but I think most people would agree that their products are no longer among the premium stoves. There are lots and lots of reviews available on this site. Pacific Energy, Jotul, Hearthstone and several other manufacturers would be better choices today.

fraxinus said:
Once upon a time, Vermont Castings stoves were among the very best made. A bankruptcy or two or three later, quality control issues, and questions about warranties and VC is not what it used to be. The brand name remains, but I think most people would agree that their products are no longer among the premium stoves. There are lots and lots of reviews available on this site. Pacific Energy, Jotul, Hearthstone and several other manufacturers would be better choices today.

+1

Those sound like great choices for someone who has relatively minor heating needs, and requires great looks and flame show (atmosphere), along with fine performance.

From PE I'd suggest the Alderlea, a lovely cast iron stove. Jotul also has some beautiful cast iron stoves, but others will have to tell you the right models. Hearthstone makes beautiful stone stoves, and with them its mainly a matter of choosing size, since the models have minor functional differences--mainly flue position.

All those have lovely flame shows, are beautiful, perform well, and have plenty of helpful owners here.

What do you say about size, folks? I'm thinking medium-small, say <2cuft firebox, so he can have a nice flame show and get his wife out of her sweater, but not so hot that she falls asleep? Say a Hearthstone Heritage I, Alderlea T4/T5, what Jotul?

HTH, welcome, and good luck!

I burn a hampton 300 series wood stove made buy Regency. We have a 2800 sq ranch open floor plan with the stove being at one side of the home. It will heat the room its in (14x16with 9 foot celing)up into the 90's easily the main living room is 26x24 with 16' vault and that room is in the mid 80s. As for the rest of the house high 70s with the ceiling fans running to move the air. We chose the hampton for its side load feature looks and the best warranty for a cast iron stove. I am on my 4th season so far and besides the chimney cleanings i have only adjusted the door handle for a tighter seal..Just my 4 cents woth best of luck

I am disappointed to hear about Vermont Castings, but it sounds pretty typical of older American manufacturers. I will definitely be checking out the others mentioned.

I am hearing mixed suggestions for size. My intent is to run the stove from Friday after work through Monday leaving for work. I have been debating the catalytic vs non stove. It seems the cats are more efficient, but are a bit tougher to regulate, require more cleaning and don't have as nice of a flame show. Would I be better off with a non-cat stove for my use?

Heating as much of the house as possible is definitely a plus. I have central air, would running that on "fan" help circulate the heated air?

Can I simply place a stove in place of the freestanding fireplace I currently have? I believe it has an 8" flue which looks to be proper for most stoves. Obviously I would have to measure out clearnaces.

Is a blower a desired feature, or just fluff?

Thanks for all of the help!
ac

Most stoves now use a 6 inch pipe. A blower is very helpful in maximizing heat output, although not all stoves offer them.

madison said:
You should research stove clearances before going any further, as you are either going work with the exisiting slate and limited sized (by looks in the photo) slate hearth or build a larger hearth for the stove that you purchase.

I took some measurements.

Slate hearth is 48" wide, 35" deep.

Height to 8" flue center is about 66".

ac

Welcome AVC

My hearth, which is a little larger than needed, is 70" wide by 54". Chances are most stoves will need something bigger than what you have. My stove, and some others, only require ember protection (i.e. tile/metal/concrete) and nothing more. Others require a specific level of insulation between the stove and combustible underneath. This may mean anything from a few layers of concrete board through to ceramic fiberboard layered in between other materials.

On a free standing stove, I'm not an advocate of needing a blower on the stove, though small fans to blow air around (always blow cold air into the stove room) are often needed to get hot air where it needs to be.

Yeah, my "small" hearth may quickly put the kibosh on this project unfortunately. I'm not sure I want much more of the room taken up by the stove. This is really surprising to me as the fireplace I have now is quite large. I really thought (naively possibly) that I would be able to drop a stove of similar size on it.

Research continues.
ac

Also, if you want the 30% credit, then you have to have this done by the end of the year - it expires then - the replacement bill has passed the house, but has been stuck in the senate for the last 6 months...

CarbonNeutral said:
Also, if you want the 30% credit, then you have to have this done by the end of the year - it expires then - the replacement bill has passed the house, but has been stuck in the senate for the last 6 months...

Trust me, this I realize!

I THINK I could get away with a Pacific Energy Alderlea T4.
ac

The Jotul Castine (a smaller stove) requires:

" a minimum floor protection of 42”W X 44” "

But no r-value if the bottom heat shield is used, so you could get away with covering the combustible areas around and attacking the hearth next summer...

The Jotul Black Bear is " minimum floor protection of 30 1/2” W x 53” ", so you would have to cover the rear part

fraxinus said:

I agree.

avc8130 said:
I am disappointed to hear about Vermont Castings, but it sounds pretty typical of older American manufacturers. I will definitely be checking out the others mentioned.

I am hearing mixed suggestions for size. Some good advice I received when I was first looking was to figure out your spacing needs . . . and then look at the stoves that are one size larger than what you think you need. More folks complain about their stove not heating their home than folks complain about being too hot. My intent is to run the stove from Friday after work through Monday leaving for work. HehHeh . . . yeah, many of us thought the same way . . . figured we would just burn evenings and weekends to save money . . . until we realized how much money we were saving and how easy it was to run the new stoves. I have been debating the catalytic vs non stove. It seems the cats are more efficient, but are a bit tougher to regulate, require more cleaning and don't have as nice of a flame show. Would I be better off with a non-cat stove for my use? Honestly . . . I think you could go either way. Originally I was dead set against cats . . . now I could go either way after hearing first hand experiences from folks who say they really are not that tough to use or clean. That said . . . I really, really like my secondary burner.

Heating as much of the house as possible is definitely a plus. I have central air, would running that on "fan" help circulate the heated air? Most folks that have tried this say it doesn't work so well . . . instead use a fan on the floor pointed towards the stove . . . it sets up a nice circulation of air . . . cool air is pushed towards the hot stove, heated air rises and flows out to the area vacated by the cool air being pushed towards the stove. Simple . . . cheap . . . and it works.

Can I simply place a stove in place of the freestanding fireplace I currently have? I believe it has an 8" flue which looks to be proper for most stoves. Depends on the size and set up . . . but actually most stoves these days use 6 inch flues. Obviously I would have to measure out clearnaces.

Is a blower a desired feature, or just fluff? Again . . . it depends . . . some stoves are designed to work well with the blower . . . others have it as an option, but may not need it. If you go with a fireplace insert you would most likely want a blower.
Thanks for all of the help!
ac

I guess it boils down to us needing to go to a dealer. I need to discuss with someone the intricacies of my install. I hadn't realized that the "small" hearth I have would not suffice. The freestanding fireplace we have is quite large, but it appears most of it must be insulation which reduces the width of floor protection required.

I can't argue that we won't use the stove more. If the stove fires easy I could see myself feeding it constantly. I just don't want it to turn into a "chore".

ac

With all of this said...can anyone recommend a dealer in NJ? I am located close to Newton and work near Rockaway. Either is close enough to be convenient to talk to someone.
ac

I am having trouble understanding one portion of the clearance:
For the REAR clearance, does the fact that I have a full brick faced chimney as my rear "wall" reduce the clearance specified in most manufactures drawings?
ac

Went to the 3 dealers closest to my house today.

They ALL steered me towards a medium stove for my home.

We looked at the following:
Regency Hampton
Pacific Engergy Alderlea T4
Lopi Leyden

From all of them I think we like the Lopi. The PE was too "cubic". The dealer for the Regency line was terrible. I like the looks of the split door on the Lopi. I think the Lopi ash system looks to be the easiest too.

What we are unsure of now is whether the blowers are worth it or not. All of the dealers seemed to suggest it.

ac

Status
Not open for further replies.