Help! did something stupid.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

john84

Oct 22, 2013
Mass
i just went to install my a cat probe on my encore 2N1. the problem is i pushed the probe thru instead of drilling a hole and when i did that i tore thru the other side> so instead of a nice tight fit it is alittle loose and removed about a quarter size spot of the material. its not the size of a quarter all the way thru. pretty much just a small layer. my question is what do i do now? talk about feeling stupid.
thanks for the help

Maybe try to mix some rockwool fiber and stove cement,and patch that bugger. Rockwool will not burn, You can get rockwool from a Hydroponics grow store;) Tear off a piece bigger the the hole work some stove cement in to real good. Pull it through the hole smooth it out a bit trim off the other side after it sets up. Should work fine. Jay

I will give it a try thanks for the idea. Do you think I'll have a problem with the stove cement sticking to the insulation? Do you think I should basically make a ball of insulation and cement and try to push it in around the probe? Or should I put the insulation in the hole around the probe and then cover it with cement? Thanks for the help.

Sounds like a stiff, refractory board type of material? If so, perhaps you can patch it with a small piece of spare board and some refractory cement. Then, start over and drill a new hole by turning a drill bit by hand. When I replaced my refractory in the Defiant Encore, I saved the old one for such occasions.

Or you could just get a short/small stainless steel bolt/nut and two stainless steel washers and patch it with that. Bolt through hole, washer on each side and lightly tighten the nut.

Probably two bucks at the hardware store.

Do you think I should basically make a ball of insulation and cement and try to push it in around the probe?
Yes {don't glue in the probe} You just want to make the hole smaller-maybe put a small pc of drinking straw in the hole mold the cement and rockwool around the straw, on both sides. Let it sit and set up bring heat -up slowly straw will burn away. Will the stove cement hold up? Don't know? IT will take the temp, If it works it's a cheap fix. I think it will work fine, P/S others also replied while I was Typing slow typer ha, All good suggestions that should work fine. Happy Heating, Let use know how ya make out? Jay

Last edited:
Well we will see what happens. I stuffed some stone wool in there then covered it with some furnace cement. Should I light the first fire without the cat in, I wasn't sure if the cement getting hot for the first time would be bad for the cat.
Thanks again for the help

Well good news it seemed to work just fine. One more question is it normal to be able to hear the draft? It seems to really pull sometimes. It's about 30 feet with a 6 inch liner?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.