1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Help...does this exist?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by enigma, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enigma

enigma New Member

Loc:
    Northern NY
    Our wood storage area is a fair distance away from the garage. This works out well in the non-snowy months, but presents a transport challenge in the winter. We are searching for something that can be used to move wood from the storage area to the garage through snow. When there is no snow, we use things like hand trucks with pneumatic tires but they obviously don't function very well in snow. I'm wondering if a device exists that sits on rails (think skis) that could easily be pulled through snow. Anyone have any ideas or experiences? How do others move wood in the winter? Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. newguyjoe

newguyjoe Member

Loc:
    Monroe,NY
    im not a wood bunrner but maybe just a cheap kids sled might help...just an idea.
  3. enigma

enigma New Member

Loc:
    Northern NY
    Had considered the sled, but not the car hood :) Also had considered one of those larger snow shovels that looks like a big triangle...not sure what they are called.
  4. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Snowblower??
  5. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Earlier in the season we were in Herb Phillipsons...an excellent local outdoor store checking out snow shoes.

I noticed this extra heavy duty black plastic sled that I thought would be perfect for winter work. It had 5" sides and 1/4" holes in front for a lanyard....probably wouldn't hurt to beef it up with some 1"2" furring strips. Anyway I'm hard on stuff but this impressed me as heavy duty enough to hold up ...it cost either 40 or 80...sorry I can't nail it down. But whatever price they were asking ...it was worth it.
  6. mayhem

mayhem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Peru, MA
    Get yourself a long toboggan off Craigslist and you can put more wood on it than you could reasonably pull by hand. Add a small winch or a long line wiht a block and tackle and you can move a fair amount of wood quickly through the snow.

[​IMG]
  7. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
  8. enigma

enigma New Member

Loc:
    Northern NY
    Thanks. I think the Shappell sleds look like they would work pretty well. Now just wondering how big would be too heavy/big to pull when loaded :)
  9. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    ^I'm pretty sure it was the 66" Shapppell I saw at Herbs...very heavy duty.
  10. fsr4538

fsr4538 New Member

I take a blue poly tarp and lay it on the ground. I put as much wood on it as I think I can haul and take the two rear corners and tie them together forming a closure on one end. I then pull from the other and the wood halls as if it is in a sack. Poly tarps are cheep and move well over the snow. I can hall 20-30 pieces of wood per load.
  11. drewboy

drewboy New Member

Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    I use a sled I bought for ice fishing - it's about the size of a kid's sled but it is deep - probably about 8 inch sides.
    When you load it full it is about all you would want to drag anyway - couple days worth of wood at least.
    It's heavy duty plastic too - I chuck splits from about 10' away.

I think I got it at Wally World about 4 years ago for about 40 bucks (Viking Sled) another brand is Jet Sled.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.