Help finding Gasket Material

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannyknot

Dec 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I replaced my door gaskets last night with this....
photo_35.jpg

I guess I chose the wrong item, because the doors will not shut properly now.
I guess the rope type isn't a suitable replacement for the flat type that was on there to begin with.

Any help finding a flat gasket kit?

ACE Hardware sells it by the foot off the roll around here. The flat type is normally used for installing glass in doors.

I found gasket rope at Lowe's. They have 5/8" and 3/8". when installing the gasket if you pull the rope as installing it will become thinner, if you just lay it in it will be thicker. You can install the rope, without glueing, and try to close the door using paper to see if it leaks, if all is well glue it in.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm just going to stick with the round rope that I installed.
The doors are hard to shut properly, but I think I'm going to wait and see if the gaskets break in and give a little more over the next few months.
If its still hard to open and close after that point, i'll tear the gaskets out and buy some flat gasket.

I installed the 3/8" in my Fisher. When I laid it in, it wouldn't close right. I took some small binder clips and clipped one end in a corner and pulled it tight and clipped the other end. I let that set for about 10 minutes, then I took the clips off and closed the door, it works fine now. Give that a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.