Q&A Help for novice wood fire burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

My parents just bought a home with fireplaces. We're having a hard time keeping the fire from burning out fast. I opened the vent, put kindling on the grates--one at each end, then I crisscrossed the wood and started the fire. After thirty minutes it burns out. I believe the wood is seasoned,but this is the second time it has burned out quickly. What am I doing wrong?

Answer:

Open fireplaces will burn wood very quickly. One trick is o allow the ash and embers to build up underneath the grate until it closes off the air flow from the bottom of the fire. This should allow for much longer burn times.

Status
Not open for further replies.