1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Help Hasqvarna 445 46cc new ( 300 dollers ) or Stihl 028 Super 55 cc 5 years old (200 dollers)

Post in 'The Gear' started by efoyt, Oct 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efoyt

efoyt Member

Loc:
    Maine
    What saw should I go with here? I just bought a Husqvarna 445 46cc saw at lowes last night for 300 dollers, the 200 doller one I had bought broke, so I put the money towerds this one. I have not taken it out of the box becouse I can buy a Stihl 028 Super 55cc saw from a friend for 200 dollers. The saw is 5 years old and looks to be in very good shape. The person I would be buying it from DOES NOT cut would for a living. But he does cut a lot of wood, and he did cut enouph to sell some this past year.

I want to cut between 5 and 7 cords of hardwood a year. What saw should I go with I am really having a hard time here.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    There bought good saw but if you need more power i would go with the stihl in this case.If this is your only saw go with the extra cc 100 dollar savings
  3. retiredff

retiredff Member

Loc:
    60 miles SE of Indy
    Go stihl. I bought a used 029 for $200 and am very happy with the saw.
  4. sl7vk

sl7vk New Member

Loc:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    The Stihl is a 470 dollar saw.

Easy choice between the two for me.

My only question is, why is your buddy looking to dump the Stihl?
  5. efoyt

efoyt Member

Loc:
    Maine

I think he is just ready for a new toy/saw. Don't really know? It works, it is in my garage right now, he sent it home with me so I could try it out.
  6. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Sweet if it runs good you cant go wrong with more cc's and less money!
  7. day52

day52 New Member

Loc:
    NW Ohio
    I am not the biggest Stihl fan in the world, even though I have had 2 of them--an 028 and an 021. 021 was underpowered for what I wanted to do, but the 028 was an impressive saw. Used it for years, then sold it to a friend--he used it for years. I don't need a saw, but I would still pick up the Stihl for that price. So many times a saw just has to feel right. He said to try it, so I would do just that. Good luck either way.
  8. efoyt

efoyt Member

Loc:
    Maine
    Is a 028 Super and a 028 farm boss the same saw???
  9. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Loc:
    Central Illinois
    Nope. More cc's and a larger piston in the Super. That saw in good shape would bring more on Ebay than the $200. The Husky is a homeowner saw. Nothing wrong with it in general terms but still a box store saw.
  10. efoyt

efoyt Member

Loc:
    Maine
    Is this saw a profecianal or Landowner saw? Stihl only lists there current saws on there website.
  11. Jabbers

Jabbers Member

Loc:
    NE OHIO
    This stihl saw should be a commercial saw. All even numbers are commercial now. Stihl makes a great product I own all stihl. I have 3 stihl blowers, 4 weed trimmers, 4 stihl saws. Stihl takes about 4-5 pulls to start but they start in any weather conditions. Yes if you do the up keep on stihl they will last a lon time. My oldest stihl saw is about 27years old running strong.
  12. efoyt

efoyt Member

Loc:
    Maine
    I went with the Stihl. Thanks for the help everyone. Without the advice I got here I would have prob gone with the new husky.
  13. ManiacPD

ManiacPD Member

Loc:
    Maine
    You would have been frustrated with the 445 sawing that much wood, trust me. Good choice!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.