Help! I don’t know what I’m doing :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Snorton

Jan 23, 2024
Great Cacapon, WV
Hello friends!

I just recently had to remove my wood burning fireplace insert. It was never hooked up properly and it was very damaged and blah blah blah. I am looking for a replacement but I have NO idea what makes any of these different than any others. I have to admit I’m immediately drawn to the “prettier” fireplace inserts like the Quadrafire Expedition II but I read a lot in the threads on here about a lack of air control? Are there any other units you all would recommend that have a nice aesthetic like the Quadrafire but maybe have a better performance? Or should I not worry about the air control at all? Any/all advice is welcome and appreciated!!

Picture is of my current fireplace opening…it’s big which is why I liked the fancier look of the Quadrafire…I didn’t like the idea of just filling the space with flat black metal…

IMG_0407.png

The pic seems to be not of your fireplace.

Reactions: ctreitzell
Hello friends!

I just recently had to remove my wood burning fireplace insert. It was never hooked up properly and it was very damaged and blah blah blah. I am looking for a replacement but I have NO idea what makes any of these different than any others. I have to admit I’m immediately drawn to the “prettier” fireplace inserts like the Quadrafire Expedition II but I read a lot in the threads on here about a lack of air control? Are there any other units you all would recommend that have a nice aesthetic like the Quadrafire but maybe have a better performance? Or should I not worry about the air control at all? Any/all advice is welcome and appreciated!!

Picture is of my current fireplace opening…it’s big which is why I liked the fancier look of the Quadrafire…I didn’t like the idea of just filling the space with flat black metal…

View attachment 323654
Sorry all, not sure how that picture got swapped but here’s the actual fireplace opening (it’s 41” wide by 31” tall and VERY deep).

Start getting some info together...

Flue size and construction
Flue height
House setup
Draft or lack thereof
I have a lot of that as well…

Clay flue that’s 17x12 so I’ll need a new lined pipe run up there. Flue height is only about 12’. Not looking for it to be the main source of heat…just prefer the look of a flush insert vs a free standing unit and my fireplace isn’t usable as just a fireplace so figured this was my best bet. Draft…not sure what I need to know there but I will have to bust out the old damper to fit the new pipe up through the chimney…so assuming the pipe will have to have a damper somewhere in it?

A key damper is warranted if your draft is strong or excessive. You may not need one, and if space is limited, not even an option. So, good air control on the insert is likely key.

12' is pretty short. I know you said the old insert wasn't hooked up properly... Did it burn ok? Did you have draft issues with it? Was it an "easy breather?"

That's not to say that a 12' stack is insufficient, but is certainly marginal.

I guess my point is, with a weak draft some inserts will thrive while others will not. I'd start with draft measurements and shop for something that works with what you got.

Was the old insert a slammer, with no liner? If so, it's good that it was removed. The chimney and fireplace including the smoke shelf will need a good cleaning before proceeding. It sounds like the fireplace will take a large insert. Is the fireplace room wide open to the rest of the floor of closed off by doorways. How large of an area would the insert be heating?