Help ID 3 broken/missing parts on a 041-AV saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ADK_XJ

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Saratoga Springs, NY
Hey all, need some help troubleshooting a couple of parts on the old Stihl 041 AV Farm Boss I bought this fall. I already hit up arborist site but this seems like a good group for the older saws.

Here they are (with pictures!):

• I'm missing a "bushing" between the bottom part of the top handle and the left-side of the body (first image), anyone know the proper name for this piece as I already tried ordering a "annular buffer" but instead got the two part piece that goes around the rear handle (second image)
  • Am I'm missing something on/in my chain tensioner setup on the front of the saw (third image) - it was quite loaded with sawdust and gunk but, even after cleaning out, I can't find a slot for a screwdriver or hex or Allen or anything - what gives?!
  • Finally, I found this broken off piece of plastic on the lower part of the right, front end of the body (fourth image) - right by the underside of the chain. It's attached by a flat head screw and washer but looks like there was more to this at one point - any ideas?
Thanks to the experts in advance - saw runs great but would really love it to be tip top before my next use.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 235
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 232
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 186
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 193
I do not but now I'll go look for that.

Yeah, so I found that and found that the bushing I'm looking for is ALSO called an annular buffer without any designation for it being on the front handle rather than the rear.

Still trying to figure out what's up with my chain tensioner however - I know where/what it is but I'm not sure why I can't see a screw thread or hex?

Got some great info from my duplicate thread over at Arboristsite and figured I'd share it here if anyone happens to be searching:

#1 - I confirmed from an illustrated parts list / spare parts list that the top/front bushing mount I've been looking for is this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-Sti...254?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e95e32916

#2 - Looks like I was looking at the wrong piece for the chain tensioner, it's actually lower and to the left

#3 - And, last, that off-white plastic piece off the bottom is my slightly chewed up chain catcher and not some broken piece of a larger part.

Status
Not open for further replies.