Help identify this cap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jb822

Dec 15, 2019
Ny
Hi all, new to wood burning and wood stoves. Cleaned my pipe yesterday but my cap didn’t survive well. Mostly my fault.

I am trying to find a replacement and need help identifying what I need.

I went to local stove place and they weren’t too much help.

4B2ED72D-9436-44E2-87EF-1EA97BD5C951.jpeg99A7297A-89D5-4227-9E18-33F807CA2539.jpegFE677842-E42D-4DA8-8EDB-A92D2FE08F49.jpeg

Can you share a picture of the joint where the two pipes mate up?
I’m thinking it’s security chimney.

Looks more like Metalbestos to me. Here is a comparison. Security is in color. Metalbestos in B&W.

Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 11.51.01 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-12-15 at 11.54.26 AM.png

Looks more like Metalbestos to me. Here is a comparison. Security is in color. Metalbestos in B&W.

View attachment 253550View attachment 253551
Metalbestos was my next guess, a picture of a joint or other components would be helpful. Also, most caps fit a lot of different chimney brands, most people aren’t sure if it’s even the original cap.

Ironically don’t have any at the moment. They have diagonal slots that rotate to lock in.

Ironically don’t have any at the moment. They have diagonal slots that rotate to lock in.
Most do. It’s the finished edge that is distinct. The outside of the pipe.

The Security cap is flat on top, with ridges. The Metalbestos cap is smooth and domed.

The Security cap is flat on top, with ridges. The Metalbestos cap is smooth and domed.
I see that in your picture. I was referring the finished edge on the pipe itself.

I see that in your picture. I was referring the finished edge on the pipe itself.
Yes, I got that, I didn't mean to sound like I was correcting that. I was looking at the OPs cap and it looks domed on top. It also has that swooping bottom skirt.

Reactions: webby3650
Yes, I got that, I didn't mean to sound like I was correcting that. I was looking at the OPs cap and it looks domed on top. It also has that swooping bottom skirt.
It’s looking like we may never get to know the rest of the story..

Lol so you guys wanna see the finished side of the pipe with the slots? I can get back up there but may be a bit now. Snow coming tomorrow. I maguyvered it for the time being until I can find a replacement.